Broken Ankle 11/08/16 tib fib and dislocation age 50

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, I well and truly scuppered myself when I slipped broke my ankle on Thursday 11.08.16

Broke my tib and fib and dislocated ankle. I went to Broadford hospital on skye where they straightened and alighted the brake and put a plaster cast on. I was then transferred to Raigmore Inverness where I was told I would need plates and screws

I had to wait for swelling to improve before I could have my op on Friday

I was told all went well with the plates and screws but still have heavy swelling so only had a back plate plaster, hard at back soft at front. I got home Saturday night and have to go back to raigmore for the cast to be fitted Monday.

All staff at both hospitals have been fantastic we do have the best health service in the world I'm sure of that.

Pain is up and down have been given Dihydracodeine 30mg 4 times a day, I shall take less if I can but have needed it so far. I have to inject anti blood clotting every evening for 28 days. Don't mind that don't mind needles.

Very nervous on the crutches in case I fall and feel very weak getting up onto my foot is hard work but am quite comfortable when sitting with leg raised, my wife got me a bunch of lovely pillows when she collected me from the hospital.

I have posted on here because I was reading up and thought I would share my experience as this whole process kicks in.

I feel rather helpless at the moment, a little worried about the long term and short term effects.

I have an excellent job and will be able to work from home (Health & Safety Advisor /Trainer) I know it's quite Ironic, I had gone to speak to a work colleague who had broken their toe bone on the Monday and half an hour after speaking with him I had done a far worse job on myself!

Anyone out there who is experiencing the same or similar currently and would like to share thoughts feelings outcomes would be much appreciated.

I do feel a little nauseous every now and then but it may be the drugs, haven't had this kind of medication before, usually just the liquid kind (wine) which will be off the cards for a while.

Oh well going to see if I can get up and go for a pee definitely not as easy as it sounds??

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Welcome to the club you never asked to join!

I'm 10+ months post snapped displaced fibula, and dislocated ankle. Never healed. Bone graft 5 months ago, plate and 6 screws. My husband broke a major bone in his hand 3 weeks after my break, at work and his boss sacked him!

*Knee Scooter- way better than crutches.

*Good food and plenty of water

*Be prepared for ups and downs, but it will get better. I never had Injection for Blood clots. I had to force myself to wiggle my toes and get up and about. It worked.

*Lucky you working from home, but don't push yourself. You need time to recover a bit more to manage that.

*Pillows your wife got will be very handy. Don't forget R.I.C.E- Mi us the ice until you get a moonboot.

Good luck! You'll get plenty of good advice in next 24 hours from all over the world. Has been critical to my recovery.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Its an exclusive club to which we are all now members. I enjoy reading everyone's posts about their journey and experience though.

• Posted

Thank you, there is always someone in a similar predicament ;-)

Connor

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your accident. I did something similar 20 years ago and eventually needed a total ankle replacement 3 years ago. Sadly it didn't work so had to go through it all again last November . This one has worked and having the iWalk made a huge difference this time. Easy to go up and down stairs and frees up your hands. Come down stairs backwards then you don't catch your foot on the stair above ?? Wish id had it 20 years ago. Good luck in your recovery xx

• Posted

Thankfully I am lucky enough to be in a single storey home so no worries regarding stairs just steps in and out of the house, mind you they are bad enough :-))

Connor

• Posted

I've been living downstairs pretty much since I got home from hospital.

• Posted

How long does it usually take for the sweeling to go down?

• Posted

Ask for a couple of Zimmer frames from Nhs. Much safer than crutches. 
    • Posted

I was given a zimmer frame to use in hospital, but was given crutches the day I came home.

• Posted

I refused to use crutches after a fall and went back to using Zimmer frame till I felt ready. Zimmer much safer in those early weeks.
    • Posted

I must admit that I did feel more stable on the zimmer frame, but was really embarassed having to use it.
    • Posted

"Pride before a fall"??  As long as your safe in these early. 

• Posted

Connor,

I have a similar injury and am still in crutches. I was going to get a knee scooter but I wasn't sure about it so I didnt. However a friend loaned me a battery operated scooter chair, the kind you see at Walmart. I used it for flea markets and festivals. But for everything else I use crutches. I don't mind them but they can get tiring. I have good balance and haven't fallen. I'm almost on week 4 after surgery. I still have swelling but it has started to go down but not away. I Stopped taking pain meds a few days after surgery but I have been warned that I might need them when I start rehabing it.

• Posted

No, I go back on the 25th for x rays. It will be 5 weeks after surgery at that point. I guess they need to see the bones fuse first.
    • Posted

Its now been 2 weeks yet since I broke mine. Just curious to see how everyone else gets on with their recovery though I realise everyone is different.

• Posted

I know what you mean. I can wait for this to be better.
    • Posted

Its been quite a humbling experience so far for various reasons, but I definately don't want to experience it again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.