Broken Ankle 2 Spots and Torn Ligaments Surgery - Not To Bad - Hope!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I read that so many people were depressed and down so maybe I can help share my positive story.  I broke my ankle as good as you can according to my doctor (Ortho).  Lucky for me I am up near Vail Colorado so we have good ortho surgeons.  I had surgery the day after I broke it and have 2 plates and close to 10 pins in it.  TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS!!  The day after surgery the nerve block wore off and WOW was I sore even while taking the pain meds.  The first 2-3 days were the worst.  I could not sleep as you cant even move and when you do it hurt so bad but then by day 3 ish I started to feel better. I had pain pills for up to 12 days but stopped on day 4 so was glad.  On day 14 I was back to get checked on and the cast removed and I was so glad to have him put me in the boot.  Felt 100 times better and everything seemed to line up perfectly.  I was told to not weight bare or at most 5% and was already given exercises to start.  I do them daily and would just do range of motion with ankle and arch forward and back until I could feel pain.  When walking on crutches I would gently place the broken foot down on ground WITH the boot on of course.  The only thing I also did was not wear the boot to bed.  I had an ice machine on my ankle almost daily, so would wrap it in that when I went to sleep.  I will be on week 5 on Monday and I can say I feel 100 times better.   I can move the ankle, I can rotate it and I even walk on it with crutches and boot and try to keep the 5% weight max the doctor told me.  My advice would be to get the ice machine, it is awesome and keeps constant ice on it.  Almost leaves swelling down to nothing.  It only swells now if I go out and keep it hanging for a long period of time.  Feel free to ask me anything, I do work in the hospital.  But, I am NOT working until it is feeling good and I can walk.  But.. hang in there as I am approaching my 5th week (in 2 days will be 5 days since surgery) and I can tell it is healing and feeling stronger.  

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry meant in 2 days it will be 5 WEEKS since surgery so when I go back to the doc at week 6 and a half hoping he will tell me I can walk on it!!  
  • Posted

Hi John, 

Very happy that you are having a positive experience. I always say everyone's pain and journey is different.    We can get/ give advise but in the end its up to the person going through this to go at their own pace.  

What is this ice machine you are talking about ? I don't think I've heard about this? 

do tell! 

Thanks and best of luck to you, 

Rose

• Posted

Look up cold water therapy not sure they will let me put a link in here but I found this example,  http://www.polarproducts.com/polarshop/pc/Circulating-Cold-Water-Therapy-System-c461.htm

?You fill it with water and ice then different attachments depending on where your break is.  For example mine is ankle so the attachment wraps around your ankle.  It then pumps constant ice cold water on you.  It keeps a constant temp.  They  recommended it to me after surgery and you can rent them but ended up buying one since it was only about $170.  I have now used it daily and even at night for the last 4-5 weeks.  It is helpful that I have someone that fills it for me as that could be hard. 

• Posted

Hi John in Colorado,

Great postging from you, and it's so wonderful to hear a positive ankle story. You were so lucky to be in a sports destination spot with outstanding practitioners who see injuries like yours constantly. They have a vast pool of practical experience.

Do your physicians know you have been using a cold therapy machine on your ankle, and did they give you any precautions on using it?

I understand there is some controversy about safety of such devices-- if used without careful attention to their use there is some danger. Since they apply freezing cold temperatures constantly using a compression pad on injured part (which can desensitize nerves to cold and pain), there is a danger that patients could unknowingly leave the device on body too long and cause cold-induced tissue damage. These devices apparently don't have timed cut-off features or alarms to alert patients to a possibly dangerous situation.

I'm sure you are using cold therapy responsibly. As with every new-fangled procedure and technology we need to be mindful of their safety and use limitations.

• Posted

Thats great,,,, the hardest part for me both times breaking same bone same  ankle is not the pain,, its depression,,,, its weird,, it comes out of nowhere,,, I hate being this depressed,,, anyways  good luck  speedy recovery to you..
  • Posted

Hi. I broke my ankle 3 weeks ago and had surgery 2 weeks ago. I have a cast right now. I have been feeling fine the past week until now I am experiencing discomfort and minor pain. Did this happen to you at all? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.