Broken ankle

Posted , 4 users are following.

I broke my ankle in 3 places last year. The plaster was on 6 weeks. I still have a lot of pain especially at bedtime where it's hard to keep my leg still. Still take Codeine now and again but don't want to become dependent on this. Can only wear my Sketcher trainers as all other shoes are no use at all. Have a bad limp when walking bare foot. Get a lot of pain in my heel Has anyone had their screws taken out and if so has this helped. My ankle is so stiff despite having private physio (NHS wasn't so great)

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Yes had screws removed about 18 months after being put in as this is the earliest it is recomended. Had screws removed for different reason tho as were not sitting flat on my bones, was a 2 week recovery tho and back on my feet after that time. Hope this helps?

• Posted

Thanks for replying. I don't even know if it's them causing the problem but I would try anything. It's very depressing because it feels like it's always going to feel this bad. It has no bend or give in it at all. Thanks for sharing your experience
  • Posted

My brother had to have his removed, about 2 1/2 years after he broke his ankle, he's been fine ever since.

I've a broken fibula, right on the joint, which is stable, but I also broke the 5th metatarsal, again through the joint, which I had to have a screw put in. Surgeon told me it will have to come out once I've healed.

• Posted

Hi,

My ankle was crushed in a motor car accident 34 years ago. I spent 3 months in hospital and thought it takes 6 weeks for the bone to knit.  Don't rush it as you have had various fractures, the bone can take up to 6 months before they are all knit together.  I went for X - Rays every 6 weeks and by the 9th month my cast was removed and 1 year later they removed the screws and some strange wire.  You will always have to move the ankle and do excercise on your own, if you stop doing that even though it is painfull sometimes your ankle will become very stiff.  You cannot go for physio on an ongoing basis, but keep moving it in circles and stretch it as much as you can.  Wear sensible shoes, (high heels are just a no no), I also still walk with a very slight limp when walking bare foot.  I have very bad arthiritus in the ankle now, and it has come to the point where I now have to make a decission to have it fused, or do I have the joint replaced.

Try and look after your ankle as long as you can, or what used to help long term for me was cortosone injections (not more than 3 a year) but now it seems to last only for 5 weeks and then the pain comes back worse than before. As they have alsways told me, try and keep the pressure of your ankle as much as you can, do your exercises but it is important to swim and cycle. (Unfortunatelly I do not like either and must admit I have been overusing my ankle by doing Zumba & bodypump).

I also found lately that I have a lot of pain under my foot on my heel moving to the bridge of my foot. When I went for my last injection two weeks ago (also privately) my consultant informed me that I have "plantar fasiicia" which he then also injected. He advised me to wear a good gel insole but only for the heel part and not the whole foot. That should work quite well inside your trainers.

Good luck and all the best, I hope it goes well for you, and don't expect things to go very well so soon.  Ankles are the part on the body that takes the longest to heel.

• Posted

Thanks for that Olivia. I never expected it to be this bad for so long. I can do stuff like gardening but it's all much more difficult now. I only slipped on a sheet of cardboard!! Thanks again for your reply. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.