Broken Ankle 4 months ago still really painful

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

I broke my ankle in April, and had ORIF surgery to repair. I had some problems with the stitches healing so ended up being non weight bearing for 12 weeks.

My scar is still not completely healed but the X-Ray's have shown the bone is healing ok.

I've been up and about for the last 6 weeks and whilst it started well, the last week the pain has been increasing. Stiff in the morning, eases up and the starts to hurt again later in the day.

Can anyone give me any clue as to how long this pain is likely to last? I thought by 4 months if be done!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your injury Macasp. It's been almost 3 years for me. 7 screws and a plate in 2014 Feb. It's August 2016 and I just had everything removed. Everyone has different issues and heals differently, but i will say i had pain throughout. Nearly 3 years now. So i would say you have a long road ahead of you. PT is extremely important, though it may give you limited ROM or maybe full. I would stiil elect o have hardware removalat a point in which the bones are healed through and through. I hear 18 mos. 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad your ankle is healing - gives me some inspiration, even if it seems it will take a lot longer than anticipated!

• Posted

Sorry to hear you had pain so long! Did it help to remove the hardware? When did you get it removed? We would love to hear how that process goes for you and what to expect for those who decide to do it.
  • Posted

10+ months for me. Keep up with R.I.C.E.

YOU, like all us on here, have joined a club we didn't ask to join. Welcome. Least we can do is support each other.

I use an All Terrain Walker, has a sear and big wheels. Very useful.

I snapped and displaced my Fibula over 10 months ago, but Ambulance Medic told me it wasn't broken. Had xray 3 days later, but no surgeons around to look at them, so sent away. 4 months later, a non union, bone graft, plate and 6 screws.

Thankfully my scars healed well. Many on here talk of Omega 3/ fish oil, to help. I used lypo spheric liquid vitamin C for a month.

Let's know how you get on.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Macasp,

I am now almost 19 weeks and everything is normal again just a small amount of swelling by days end. We all heal differently but this is a long journey. Stay dedicated to RICE and PT.

• Posted

I'm kinda worried now. My doc told me I would be back at work in two months. 😣

• Posted

Hi Macasp- Everyone is different. I'm 56 yrs. old, and was always a busy, active, and healthy person before having a trimalleolar break and a plate and 13 screws installed. Today is my 6 month ankle-versary (break was Feb. 16th of this year) and I really feel pretty darned good. I still have some stiffness after I have a busy day walking, but I got a Fitbit and realize I always average over 10K steps a day and often much more, so anywhere from 4-6 miles a day just walking around. I can swim, bike, elliptical, walk fast on the treadmill etc. I was never a runner, so I don't know about that. Hang in there! Many of us healed up just fine!

• Posted

Oh and to answer your question, I probably had some pain until month 5 and then now only ache a bit. 
  • Posted

Sounds like my problem. My ankle accident was on June 8th, I still have trouble with weight bearing. I'm in a rehab facility because it got infected. The swelling and pain still persist on that leg. Where there is a plate still digs in when I walk.

6 weeks of antibiotics does not look like it is doing much. I want to know is it going to hurt this bad when the infection goes away.

• Posted

Hi Macasp, I didn't experience a foor surgery before but if I am going to compare it into any other case of surgery recovery 4 months long of pain after surgery is not normal unless maybe if there is complications, right? Have you try to ask your doctor about that? If none, maybe it's time for you to ask what is happening, and if that pain you are experiencing for that long is still normal. And you may always ask for 2nd opinion if is that really normal. Hope can help you. Get well soon smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.