Broken Ankle

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,I broke my ankle 3 1/2 weeks ago in 3 places and it required a plate with 4 screw plus 3 additional screws for the other bones. My surgery was two weeks ago and I am supposed to have the splint cast for another month, then maybe a boot. 8 weeks of non weight bearing activity. So I am a runner and I have not heard anybody say how long it might have taken them to get back to running. However just standing or walking would be nice. Any feedback would be great. I am dealing with the swelling issue too. I don't even use a knee walker because it won't elevate my leg enough. It's ridiculous. So I don't get around much. I did kayack in a calm lake though and it was wonderful!

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It sounds like you have an excellent plan.You going to have the rest of your body I great shape to help support your ankle as it gets stong again.  Are you getting down on a exercise pad to do your exercises. Ive even afraid to get down on the flor because I'm afraid I can't get up!I miss doing my flor exercises and stretching..... Oh how I miss stretching.  I've never had much upper body strength but I doing a arm routine every day with little 5 pounders. If your able to get in a kayak now that is awesome. I think your my hero. I think you will run again in time. Stay strong.

• Posted

Yes I can get down on the mat and back up. Worst case scenario is that my mat is close to my bed and weight bench. It's not that hard to get up holding onto either. It feels great being down on the mat. You should try it when somebody is around in case you are unsure about getting back up.

• Posted

Oh, getting in the Kayack is easy. I bend down on my good leg and sit my but right in it. Getting out my husband does give me a hand by pulling me up. That would have been tricky by myself. But I would never do it alone with a broken ankle, lol
    • Posted

I'm jealous! I started off getting down on my better leg. Up and down stairs on bum. Was great. Then I couldn't. I am am able to walk now holding on to rail. Kayaking sounds like a go. My husband snapped a bone in his hand, scaphoid, 3 weeks after me, but its not back to normal, and he had his surgery a week b4 mine. Summers coming, sons wedding coming. Snows clearing. I'm getting excited. I must say you're doing exceptionally well. Go girl!

??????????????

• Posted

Well you will have to tell your husband somebody else would have to help you out of the kayack if you go, lol! I could probably have gotten out of it myself but why take that risk on the shore of the lake. I am really glad to here things are proving so well for you now. That is so cool!
    • Posted

Lol, he can't help me lift it on the trailer yet. Hey, I'll settle for driving, which I can see happening b4 long. And walking by the sea, which is a couple of Kms away. I can now climb up to 3rd story of our house and see the ferries and yachts. Fantastic view. I can now dance when the music comes on.

Good on you for staying so positive. I did notice someone having a bad day had put a massively negative comment on your awhile back. I hope they are feeling better. We all heal different. Three ladies in particular have been a godsend for me. Daphne, PatientHolland, and Patti.

They have given more hope and inspiration than I could have imagined. Like they were friends id known all my life.

I think I'll add you Dawn.

Keep us up with progress please!??

• Posted

Thank you for those sweet words Tituscanby! Those ladies you mentioned are awesome; I am very honored to be listed in their company! Glad to hear you will be driving soon and that you are dancing now too! I remember when I started dancing, even a few steps, it felt so good! So happy for you! 

So happy to hear you all are staying in such good shape during this. There really is no reason not to do it. I took 10 days off after the surgery and then got back into my upper body wieght lifting workouts that I had always done. It was a wonderful feeling!

I asked my ortho doctor if I could do leg raises with my cast, because I really wanted to do it,  and he told me I better not to do it (maybe because I had ORIF or maybe he was too conservative). He said better safe than sorry about shifting things around until the bone healed by week 7. So I just didn't do those, but did do sit ups and as much as I could. There is no reason I can see why a normal healthy person, without major complications, shouldn't get healed up from a broken ankle. Some heal super fast and some take just a bit longer. 

• Posted

I did leg raises for first few months until I had the non Union. Then things got complicated.

I think Dawn is right space. My Physio told me after so long, connections were gone, and I had to work at connecting them up again. If I hadn't had a non union and bakers cyst. I'd be jogging by now. I was quite fit and strong mentally and physically.

If all goes well, the more we do, under Drs and Physios advice, the quicker the recovery. I guess at the start they treat us all the same, as if we are going to heal fast. We just have to march on thru hiccups. If people put so called negative comments, they're suffering , let's face it, and need support. I try not to read into that.

You're great!

I'm getting ready for sons wedding. Can't dance much, but can move well. Tried to see if f I could get to the ground safely. Bakers cyst knee very weak, and I couldn't. I'll work on it.

@(*+'wink@

• Posted

That sounds nice. Have fun at the wedding! What kind of shoe are you going to wear? I have a wedding to go to and can't figure out the shoe thing.

• Posted

Thanks. I will give the mat a try today. I'll put it between my couch and knee walker so I have something to hold on to. My husband is around  & he'll be able to help also, once he stops laughing. I think I leave he kayak on the hooks right now but mmmm....maybe soon. We live on a river that is 3 miles wide.  Our house faces north so we can watch the soon rise over the edit end of the river and set on the west end. It's really niice to do that in kayak 

• Posted

That sounds so lovely. We drive 1/2 to get to the lake. We are going today. Let me know how it works out for yoy on the mat. I really enjoyed it and was able to do a lot more on it intend of only on a bench.
  • Posted

So I have 12 more days until the x rays. I am praying for good results. It will be 5 weeks at that point since surgery. Last night I was in a saltwater pool and it was amazing being able to float around and move without a boot or crutches. I was told to let the ankle dangle by the surgeon. But it was super nice. I found a great way to get myself off the ground. I sit and the ground with my legs in front of me. I cross my good leg over the other on and place my toes toward the groumd. My hands go in push up position and I basically do a push up, going up and lift my injured leg under my good one. I pike up and from there I can use my crutches to stand up the rest of the way. Or just balance on one foot. I used to do a lot of Plyometrics at the gym so I would only advise this to people that are confident in their balance. But it is way better then trying to put all of the pressure on your good knee.

• Posted

I found swimming magical and freeing in a time when I felt so stationary and helpless. I started after I got out of my cast at 7 weeks though, when I started PWB, since I was casted. My doctor wouldn't even let me do leg exercises in bed with the casted leg. Glad you were given the okay to do this. It's an amazing feeling!

• Posted

Are you still on this site?  Just registered on this site and looking for others going through similar broken ankle recuperation. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.