Broken ankle 6 weeks ago pinned and plated

Posted , 7 users are following.

just enquiring as I am now out of plaster for 6 days but only able to weight bear ,struggling to walk . Was told by consultant best physio was walking not given any exercises or physio given a sick note for 1 week have got open appointment to go back for 6 months. Feel a bit lost really foot swollen as expected . Anyone else been in this position ? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Physio is very important.. I developed a blood clot and they stopped my physio now I am starting it this week, in the meantime I did a warm epsom salt soak, 4 basic starter exercises, that they gave me on a sheet to do at home and then after exercise I ice and elevate.

It has made a world of difference, still not walking normally but no crutches, no pain and getting there after just 8 weeks. Hang in there and demand that you get some PT..

• Posted

That is ridiculous.  Without proper physical therapy you will struggle to get better.  To me the operation was the least of my recovery and PT was everything.  I would have been lost without PT.  How can a doctor not subscribe PT.  I would demand it.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks I thought as much ! Will push for physio as still on zimmer and not walking as anxious to it weight through it 😩

• Posted

Hi carol. Im now 20 weeks since my fall and 19weeks post op. Still not able to walk without pain and limp. Had physio for 8weeks, bu didnt really do much. To be honest they could of just given me a list of exercises to do at home and it would of been easier for me, as I had to arrange with friends and family to take me to the hospital. Each session was only for 20  mins max with the first 4 only for 15 mins!!!  Now have to have awaited op on my knee same leg, so she has refereed me back to knee consultant, so ankle physio has been put back 1 month. Can walk without aids but its bad.....been very painful these past few days, so Ive been using one crutch to help with weight baring. hope you get sorted soon. sx
    • Posted

Sounds tough , was expecting it to be hard but not this bad ! Just got to get on with it I guess 😞Good luck with your knee op and recovery 🤗

• Posted

Carol, 15 - 20 minutes of PT is worthless as you are finding out.  My therapist would first loosen up the ankle and stretch it a little before any exercises and that would take 10 - 15 minutes.  Then he would give me just a little harder exercise each time I visited.  I spent about an hour each time at PT including 10 minutes of icing at the end.  What doctor would prescribe 15 minutes, that's crazy and useless as you found out.  Where are you located?

• Posted

Hi Jerry 

Have contacted Gp to see if I can access physio but receptionist said the hospital letter did not state I needed it so I have to speak to Gp tomorrow . I am based in Derbyshire uk I have open access for 6 months back to the hospital if I have any problems so I guess I will just call them if no joy from the Gp .

• Posted

I do physic and it is about an hour long.  I don't do all the exercises at home.  I do the rom ones but not the others. Bad I know.  I walk all day tho teaching so that counts right?  I'm in pain and swell .  But only been FWB since Aug. 16th.  It's a journey. 

• Posted

I agree with resting weight but only at 6 weeks fwb a bit much. But it all hinges on what you can handle. It's your body your pain. I wasn't given any pysio options except to go to rehab for 6?"€%#^>>weeks yeh right.  YouTube helped me. I also like to exersize in warm water it helps. Most important to walk straight and level. Be very mindful to avoid limp. And massage whole foot to loosen scar tissue. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.