Broken ankle

Posted , 3 users are following.

So basically I broke my ankle 3 days ago, not sure whether I will need surgery yet, have been noticing that my foot feels like it is swelling more inside my cast and three of my toes are feeling numb, not sure if I need to go back to the doctors or not? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Oh Jasmine,

I'm so sorry this has happened to you.  I broke my fibula, dislocated my ankle and tore all the ligaments in my ankle on July 13th.  

If you are feeling excessive heat, or discomfort in your cast, your best bet is to call the Dr. or go to emerg.  The last thing you want to do is chance that the swelling is more than the cast can handle.

Being proactive is the best option.  You never want to be in a position where you are wondering if something is 'normal' or not, that is scary.  Check it out, so you can be sure all is ok and you will know what to expect as you move along in your recovery.

I wish you all the very best in your recovery.  It can be a lengthy process but if you have patience (I sadly do not!!), you will be just fine.

Just be kind to yourself and don't overdue anything  smile

• Posted

Thank you, also I'm not sure which bone I have broken as when my X-Ray was done it wasn't clear because of swelling, is this normal? 

• Posted

I also haven't been called to go to the fracture clinic yet, do u know how long it should normally be? 

• Posted

This surprises me as regardless of the swelling, a Dr. would be able to tell exactly what is broken.  I would be pushing to get a proper answer and what the anticipated treatment will be.

Don't settle if the answers are not explaining exactly what is wrong and how it will be handled.  Keep asking questions until you are satisfied ... get a second, third opinion.  It's your injury and you have every right to be comfortable with the info given to you.

Very best of luck to you in your recovery.  This is  a wonderful forum and everyone is so nice and supportive -- keep digging until you get all the information you need.

• Posted

Thank you, have found more info of you than the doctors, seemed like they didn't really know what they were doing, on minute it wasn't broken the. Ext it was displaced! Still waiting for the phone call for my cast change.

• Posted

Prior to leaving the hospital after my surgery, I was given an appointment to attend the fracture clinic.  

Make sure you get that appt. set up so you can begin your recovery.

• Posted

We have a great (free) service where I live where you can call a nurse 24/7 to get advice and support. It so hard for us to know when we are over reacting and when we are under eating,  so calling health link is so great.  In the absence of that kind of support, my suggestion is to err on he side of caution and get it checked out.
    • Posted

Thank you, it only started feeling like this today, got lots of pins and needles, very cold and purple toes. Thought it might just be normal.

• Posted

Oh excellent suggestion... you must be canadian, as am I!
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your email. I too dislocated and broke my ankle 5 1/2 mths ago now. Still not walking without a very bad limp. Still have pain and swelling. But remember my stay in hospital for 9 days before they operated on my ankle. Due to swelling. The pain and swelling got really bad so they cut the cast up the middle and put bandage around for support. The relief was heaven, so I would definitely ring or take a visit the hospital for them to take a look. Because the cast will stop your foot/leg from swelling ad it needs to and will defo turn your foot and toes purple /black as there's no where for it to go because of the restriction due to the cast being too tight. Good luck sx

• Posted

Accident.... Not email!!! Lol sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.