Broken ankle

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello my name is shelia.

I broke my ankle on May 21 2018 and  had surgery on June 1 st.  I was no weight bearing until July 24th.  I am now in therapy. My ankle is still swollen and turns out when I am on it a lot. Also the incision still seeps just a little bit not a massive amount just a tiny bit and does not have an odor. Also now that I can get out and around I get so anxious when people get close to me. 

Help is this all normal this is the first time in my 44 years of life I have ever broken a bone

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I don’t know about the seeping incision, mine stopped that after a few days. Ask your therapist what they think. The swelling is normal and will continue for a few months. It gets better but will reoccur the more active you are for a long time.

I know I was like you-afraid someone would push or trip me, or I would fall. These fears also lessen with time. I actually stepped in a hole while backing up mowing the lawn and was so afraid I’d damaged my hardware but it was fine. I’m 63 and that was my first break too.  

• Posted

Thank you for the advice. 

Do you have trouble with your foot turning out?

• Posted

Hi,

You well down the road to recovery, I would be slightly concerned your wound is having issues, it should be closed by now, this needs reported to doctor to rule out infection.

Your ankle will be swollen to some degree for a long time, keep doing your exercises and get your ankle foot elevated regularly.

• Posted

The swelling is normal. I am 27 weeks post surgery and still dealing with the swelling. My foot also turned out quite a bit which I would notice the most when they had me ride the stationary bike at PT. I would find myself hitting the bike with my heel as I was pedaling if I didn't pay close attention to how I was holding my foot. I think part if this is due to the muscles in your leg being so weak from weeks of not using them.

I have noticed that since my injury if I try to walk with my toes facing forward I almost feel like i am twisted all the way up to my groin.

• Posted

Same as others-#1-wound should be closed by now, #2-swelling will be with you awhile and #3- fear is a natural result of this kind of traumatic injury.  I still have flashbacks about my bilateral ankle breaks,   and I am scared in crowds, it’s almost like PTSD but not as bad.  If the fear does not lessen you can always speak to a therapist.  We need to have confidence in our bodies again after being so helpless and traumatized.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Shelia, hope you are feeling better.

I broke my right ankle 7/5 (ORIF surgery 2 screws) the same day and currently nwb for 2 months. I too have never had a broken bone and I am 45.

I would ask about the wound seeping just to make sure. My foot is turned out as well but I will ask at my next appt 8/16. I am anxious to start PT but a total scaredy cat about the pain! I have never felt so helpless especially around my 5 yr old daughter.

I try to stay positive but it's hard when family and friends don't understand the daily struggles (mental & physical) and getting around at home if that makes sense. I know my reply is not helpful Shelia sad But I am glad I found your post as it gives me piece of mind of what I am feeling and knowing I am not alone as mushy as that sounds smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.