Broken ankle

Posted , 5 users are following.

I missed step and broke my ankle biomalleor dislocated has surgery plates and screws both sides of ankle .Had clips taken out and new cast fitted . Now been told have to have a ct scan . Feeling very depressed a burden to my family terrible paranoia and don't know how to cope as seems never ending .

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your accident. How long has it been now?

I am 11 weeks post accident today. I promise it does get better. Especially if you can use a knee scooter and get about a bit, much easier than crutches.

The first few weeks were terribly long and difficult. I found that the really good pain meds did not help my anxiety, even if they did help the pain. I weaned off them and down to regular strength paracetamol as soon as I could handle it.

I spent my time watching a lot of tv and doing puzzles.

• Posted

Hi thankyou for your reply it will be three weeks on Thursday did you have ct scan I'm a bit worried as claustrophobic.

• Posted

I had a CT scan, only your ankle goes in, so its not too bad. I had trimalleolar break with pleat and 6 screws on one side and 2 screws on other. Break was March 17th surgery was March 27, just found out the bone at the back is still completely fractured, so I am back to non weight bearing and elevating, they are putting me on a bone stimulator, I dont know if that will fix the problem. So I can relate, I can't do anything. It is so dressing and isolating.

I hope the CT goes well, it's also very quick.

• Posted

No CT for this so far, but I have had CT's for other things.

CT machines are not very wide, only about 30cm and it only takes about 1-2 minutes. Kaymac is correct, only your ankle will go in.

MRI machines are the ones that are like are tunnel, very noisy and can take a long time. Once you have plates/screws you can't have an MRI (as far as I am aware) due to the magnets.

At three weeks I was still very wobbly with mobilising and in a decent amount of pain especially overnight but week four I turned a corner and started getting comfortable with moving about.

• Posted

I fell a from over 15 feet and broke my heel and wrist, because of the height i was giving full ct scan in case there was any spine damage. The scan was described as a huge polo mint (shape) and so it turned out. I was able to see everything around me and bed or scan moved up and down 2 or 3 times it was no problem at all. Thankfully there was no more damage done as we all know the ankle area is enough to be getting on with. I think the worrying about everything gets us down more than the actual injury sometimes.

• Posted

Totally agree with you my paranoia is terrible . I had new cast put on last week and had xray was told to come back in 5 weeks .Then received a call saying I saw wrong doctor and needed a ct scan asap which has worried me .

• Posted

Suppose that WOULD worry most folk but, sounds like someone has made a blunder at hospital and probably end up being a routine visit. I cant comment on ankle surgery only my wrist had plate put in but has been mentioned that might need surgery at later date for potential arthritis. This is something i need to put to back of mind though as only getting on my feet after 14 weeks and not very easily either. I think its good to have this forum as the input i and others have had from hospital and physio is just about better than zero! Good luck.

• Posted

Had ct scan all went well hopefully good results Wednesday. It is good to talk to people that understand me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.