Broken ankle

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am new to this site...Hi everyone. I am 68 an broke my ankle in two places..had surgery ..and now it has been over 6 wks . I was wondering if when you got to putting weight on your ankle did they start with 25%..or what ever you could bear and how long was the process till you were at 100%

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

it really depends. I'm on a Facebook page that discussion comes up frequently. I'm at 6 weeks, but both ankles are broken. I'm wearing the CAM boots and wt bearing as tolerated. others have different experiences. maybe join the group?

• Posted

You poor thing .I don't knowhow you cope with 2 ankles broken.Just 1 devastated me.

• Posted

Hi there. My Orthopedic Surgeon told me that it will take about 1 to 1 1/2 years to fully recover. I am about the same age as you, dear.

• Posted

I started at 25 percent. When you get further ahead you have to walk thru the pain but not get carried away. I thought I never was going to walk again because it sounded counterproductive to walk on a limb that hurt so much loI Your therapist should be able to answer your questions. I had surgery in July and walking pretty good now and I can even wear like a 2 and a half inch heel. I even danced. However, sometimes if I walk too long I might start limping a little. I still have different kinds of pain but nothing umbearable . I broke 3 bones and I'm 70. My right ankle is still swollen and my foot feels like elastic bands. I think it will take a year to get back to normal but I think some people never do.You just have to deal with it.

• Posted

I had a triple break with surgery about 3-4 years ago (at 57 years old approx). It took 2 years to get to 100%- although I was about 96% at 18 months. wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy but there is a possibility of a great outcome afterwards! Hang in there! it takes some time!

• Posted

Hello and welcome to the group.

At 4 weeks my cast came off and I was given a boot and I could bear 25% weight

At 7 weeks my ankle was healed and I was given the green light to go FWB as well as begin PT.

My surgery was 7/11 and by mid to late September I was walking in sneakers.

Im 67 and some days my ankle is still stiff other days Im fine Its a process which requires patience!!! Something I dont have a lot of

All my best

• Posted

yes, 25% wb is normal. your doctor would add more weight about every week or two weeks depending on how your ankle xrays are looking.

• Posted

i want to add one thing. the treadmill has been a tremendous help for my ankle. for the ankle to heal and be strong again you have to do strength exercises. the treadmill with the elevation and not putting to much impact on ankle is a great benefit to recovery..... i'm two years broken 3 places and dislocation. whenever you finish with pt your on your own and the process will be left up to you, you must work at it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.