broken Ankle 8 weeks any advice please

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi broken ankle 8 weeks in - any advice please - do you soak in hot or cold water im using epson salts - did get any advice in excercise - again sny help please ?

thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I don't know if there is anything different specific to a broken ankle but whenever I use Epsom salts I use warm water.

• Posted

warm water with epsom salt then I would use ice pack for 10 minutes and alternate between the two

• Posted

I was told that you could use heat for pain. Hot water with epson salt is supposed to help although I never used the epson salts. They say that ice is good for reducing swelling and keeping it elevated above your heart. It can be a long process. Don't get discouraged as it will get better.

• Posted

Thanks for your help - you just want to be mobile again dont you - didnt realise how long it would take

• Posted

Hiya, best excersises to start with is moving you ankle from side to side and up and down, then try writing the alphabet with your ankle. Do it slowly to help with range of motion, if you look on YouTube there is also a number of strength exercises you can do. I broke my ankle and needed ORIF surgery last May and am still in physio....it's a long process but you will get there x

• Posted

thanks i will try - i have started some excersise but will go on you tube

• Posted

Look up bob and brad on utube. These guys are fantastic. Also, after 6 months of recovery, I felt like I needed to kick things up a notch so I bought an infrared heating pad... super helpful.

• Posted

Hi thanks i will look them up - the heat pad sounds good - i have been buying just throw away ones but will look into that

• Posted

Infrared, by thermotex. Spendy but def worth it...I mean heck, it's only our ankle, right?!

• Posted

I had my stitches removed yesterday after having long screw removed over two weeks ago

Im off all restrictions and can do what my body allows

I told doctor ankle is still a little stiff some days It does loosen as I get moving

He suggested more PT but at $35 per session I can do exercises myself

I walk a lot during day its just once I relax at night my ankle stiffens up but overall I feel great

7 months post op

Doctor did say takes almost full year to feel perfect

• Posted

thats good news

im still worried doctor told me yo start walking on it 2 weeks ago and its still painful - is this right feel like i shouldnt be walking on it ???

• Posted

I think at 8 weeks your healed but its going to hurt Heck, you havent walked in a long time so all those bones and muscles have to get used to having weight on it again

I could walk with crutches at 8 weeks snd once I began PT I did progress fairly quickly

By 12 weeks I was walking

When I went to get my stitches out the other day there was a woman in wheelchair with same type of cast I had We started talking and she had same injury I did She was only 2 weeks into recovery I didnt want to sound depressing but I told her its a long road back and you need a lot of patience

Its the worst thing thats ever happened to me and everyday its with me even tho Im healed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.