Broken ankle advice needed!

Posted , 7 users are following.

On the 27/04 I managed to fracture tibia, cause an oblique intra-articular fracture of the distal fibula from falling down two stairs, I had to wait a week and half for surgery and it was pinned and plated in the mean time it was put in a cast, after the operation it was put in another cast then two weeks after that I got another cast change. Four weeks later I was given the boot Oh how I was delighted thinking I was getting my life back...how wrong was I I was told to still not weight bear for another two weeks then I could start to weight bear with the boot. So Monday I was delighted finally two feet on the floor Oh the pain is horrendous, Tuesday I went to physio to be given some exercises which basically are pointing my toes and making circular motions....then to be told there is nothing more he can do with ankle to strengthen it for another 4 weeks after I have been to see the consultant....I seem to be getting nowhere by that point I will of been off sick 14 weeks from work can anyone tell please tell me what's to be expected after I get this boot off? As it seems I won't be returning to work immediately afterwards or am I wrong?? Ps i spend all day on my feet at work up and down running checkouts.

Any advice gratefully appreciated!

Xx

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Collette, 

I too broke my distal fibular but luckily I did not require surgery. 

I was in a non weightbaring cast for nearly 6 weeks and then I was giving the boot to use. Where I was told I could fully weightbare. 

When I first began to try and weightbare the pain in my foot and ankle was unbearable and I physically couldn’t do it. For the first week not much changed. I was giving the same physio exercises as you describe.

However, everyday after the first week you will notice less pain and more movement. It has been 16 days since I had my cast off and I can now walk around the house (slowly) with no crutches or boot. 

I am still off work as the doctor has advised to stay off for another 2 weeks until I am sure my ankle is heeled as going back too soon may cause more damage. So I would imagine you’ll be off work for another 4 weeks maybe? 

So it’s just a case of waiting! But you will notice a massive difference after 2 weeks. Just do your physio at least 3 times a day (especially the heel raises even though they hurt!)

Hope this helps smile

• Posted

Thanks hun for replying, just everything seems to be taking so long to fix I was thinking 8 weeks I would be on my feet again!
  • Posted

Oh Collette I’m on that journey , waited 5 days in hospital before they operated, open cast to allow the swelling to go down for two weeks, lighter blue cast for 4 weeks - hospital on Wednesday for this one to hopefully come off. Broke the ankle in 3 places . Been off work 7 weeks , work as a carer so highly unlikely I’ll be back anytime soon! Was looking forward Wednesday cast removed and having the boot and hoping to start weight bearing, hearing your story I might be too optimistic . It’s a long slow process . Let me know if the pain becomes more manageable 

Dawn 

• Posted

Sounds as tho you have similar to me, hope your recovery is quicker than mine just be ready for it to take longer than planned. Will keep you updated on my progress
  • Posted

I can only tell you my experience, everyone’s is different. I had the same breaks as you, plate and screws on the fibula, two screws in the tibia. I went back to work at 12 weeks after surgery, a week and a half after boot off. I work 12 hour shifts in a busy ER. There’s swelling to the lower leg and ankle, and pain, it lessens with time.  It feels wierd to walk literally for weeks. I just now feel like I’m not limping any more and I just passed the 6 months mark.  The only benefit I have over you is that I had surgery the same day I broke it. My orthopedic surgeon feels there’s better outcomes that way as opposed to waiting, as you catch it before the horrible swelling starts. Reading here I’d have to agree that I healed a lot faster than the waiters.

Be patient and Ice and elevate as much as possible. Especially when you go back to work. 

• Posted

Thank you for replying, defo need up the ice and elevation again my ankle is all bruised bow from walking round in the boot 😭😭

• Posted

Wow Collette!! Sorry about your frustration!! I had two fractures on my ankle broke my ankle two different places on June the 10th as myself I'm on my feet constantly 8 to 12 hours a day I do construction and yes your doctor will tell you this to put weight on it and start doing physical therapy as soon as possible if he let's you do light duty and if your job has light Duty you can go back to work!! I can do Light Duty I'll be working in a warehouse!!! But if you do light duty be extremely careful cuz them kind of injuries are easy to re-injure!!! Take care and God bless!!

• Posted

Thank you, I'm so frustrated with it all and looking for the light at the end of the tunnel x

• Posted

So here I am back in the forum days away from 12 months since my accident and sadly its not good for me. I walk with a limp still, struggle walking any distance, unable to run, and have some of the worst days ever with depression.

• Posted

You must follow your doctor's advice about putting weight on your ankle. You may need to use crutches for a few weeks, but if the break is minor you may be able to walk on it straight away. You must wiggle your toes and bend your knee regularly to reduce stiffness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.