Broken Ankle- Advice please

Posted , 7 users are following.

HI

I fell and broke my ankle in 2 places 2 weeks ago, i really dont want to have an operation as i suffer with anxiety really bad, last week the orthopedic surgeon said the bones were alligned for now but can easily move and if this happens pins and plates would be needed, the doctor said that the operation would air on the side of caution , back tomorrow and very nervous! do people recommend the operation? thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My doctor also said I could probably heal okay without an operation but that if it didn't heal perfectly I would suffer from pretty bad arthritis in my ankle for the rest of my life. We did the operation (which I was TERRIFIED of due to having to go under) and within 2 months I was back to normal! I know it can be a scary process but I do recommend the operation, especially if your doctor thinks that's the best option!

• Posted

i agree! i broke mine in 3 places and my surgeon didnt really give me any other option except for surgery with plates and screws. i also dislocated it and he very strongly recommended that i have a external fixator put on(before i had the plates/screws inserted) to keep me from gettimg arthritis but i said no. May will be 1year since i broke it and i actually really wish i would have went ahead with the surgery i declined because i have issues with it often especially when it rains. So i say listen to what your surgeon says. they have been doing this for years and know what they are doing 😃 btw, i was 20 and i was extremely scared and anxious(my heart rate the day of surgery was well into the 100s from anxiety) but it was all okay 😃 good luck

• Posted

Hi!

Sorry to hear of your dilemma!

I suffer with severe anxiety and pre op wrote my child a letter and stored all passwords 'just in case'

I have actually broken my leg twice, fibula, first time break was high enough for just a cast and i hated every minute of it! About 3 months recovery in total as needed a boot after cast came off.

2nd time i needed surgery as break lower down, had to wait 7 days for it and it was awful. I am overweight too so was scared of the anaesthetic. Fortunately i broke my leg whilst out on a night out in London and the hospital i was taken too was actually my work place - and as a trauma hospital i was pleased with the standard of surgeon i was getting. Still didnt help with the nerves tho and i had a lovely anaesthetist, he listened to my concerns and offered an alternative to GA - I could have local and be awake.....talking to him on the day really helped my anxiety and he listened and respected my fears and i felt ok to agree to GA knowing he had my back.

Remember if you do have surgery you can withdraw up to last moment, its not a necessity to survival - just better healing.

My healing time was still around 3 months but a bit more comfortable as no cast but still no weight bearing.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions xx

• Posted

Fell off the bike 2 yrs ago and broke my tibia and fibula. It happened while vacationing out of country. Orthopedic surgeon wanted me to have surgery but I declined. I came to US and my orthopedic surgeon gave me 2 options surgery or cast for 3 months then therapy. He told me that results would be the same only it takes longer to recover without surgery. I'm glad I did not have surgery although it took almost 2 yrs to recover. I'm walking fine without a limp. It's not 100% back to normal but I'm happy with the result. I can't wear heels no more than 2 inches. I hope you make the right decision. I'm just sharing you my experience.. Good luck!

• Posted

I recently just had surgery as well. I broke my ankle in 3 places and surgery was my only option to fix it. However, a friend of mine broke her ankle last year and was given the option of having surgery. She had it about 6 months after the initial break and she really wishes she would have listened to her doctor when he first suggested it!

Your surgeon / doctor knows best! Listen to him/her!

My ankle surgery took 3 hours! I also was given a "blocker" right before my surgery. Kind of like a epidural for your foot lol. They numbed the nerves in my leg that go to my foot to help relieve the pain after the surgery. It lasts about 16-18 hrs which was great; up until it started to ware off and my foot was tingly while I was trying to sleep. That was super annoying. All in all, everything went smoothly and here I am 6 weeks later and things are getting better! I meet with my doctor on Monday am- hopefully he will let me start WB and I can return to work!! 😃

Best of luck to you! xoxo

• Posted

I had ankle surgery 6 weeks ago. I broke my right ankle in 3 places and surgery was my only option. I wasn't nervous at all about surgery- so I can't give you any advice about that. BUT I can reassure you that it's not as bad as you may think. My surgery lasted 3 1/2 hrs and I woke up in a good amount of pain afterwards. That first night was the only bad night I had. After that my pain was close to nothing. I only used my pain meds at night for the first few days and then I didn't need them at all. I know everyone is different but I hope this can calm your nerves a bit. It has definitely been a longggggg process. I have been camped out in my living room for the past 7 weeks but I have finally been cleared to go back to work and start putting weight on my foot again! I'd say do the surgery now, because the older we get the harder it is to bounce back! Save yourself the pain of not having it done! This too shall pass. Good luck hun xoxoxo

• Posted

Did you decide to have surgery?

It's not a difficult surgery for them to do. I've had surgery on both ankles now and the surgeries went well. It's the recovery that takes time which you're going to go through if you have the surgery or not.

I recommend getting a nerve block if possible and making sure you stay ahead of pain medication once that wears off for a few days.

I also suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. I knew what to expect when I had my surgery 5 months ago like yours. It was tons better than my other ankle 20 years ago, technology and pain management are so much better so I knew I'd be in better shape. What has helped me when dealing with surgery is meditation and breathing techniques. And trusting the nurses and doctors as they will take good care of you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.