Broken ankle and boot rubbing on my rod and screws

Posted , 9 users are following.

I broken my ankle 2 weeks ago and today was fitted for a boot.

I had 3 cast changes cuz I kept thinking that the cast was loosing from the swelling going down. Every cast change was the same. Fine for the first day then my cast would rub again my incision/screws rod on outer ankle. I though when I got a boot put on my troubles would be over. Well been in a boot alll day and same thing. Feels like it is pushing againt my ankle/rod, if I move my leg slightly in the boot I can find a somewhat better position. How am I supposed to deal with this for 6 plus weeks. Anyone else have this problem?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Pam.   I think perhaps you don't have enough air in the boot.  Yes, I had to pump sir into my boot and when it became tight, I srtopped pumping but I did notice that the air soon went down so had to keep on pumping it up.

I was told I didn't need to wear the boot in bed because my bones were stable as I had plates, screws and pins holidng it all in place.

At first, I was a bit nervous of moving my foot about but I soon realised I had been doing it during sleep and all seemed well.   So go ahead and sleep without it.   It's nice because it means your foot and leg are free and the skin can begin returning to a normal state.

I had lost so much muscle tone in my calf in only a few weeks but now I'm walking, it all seems to be coming back to how it used to be.

Best of luck - Pauline 

• Posted

I am so paronoid to sleep without the boot but hate it at the same time. I am like you and had a rod and screws placed (broke my ankle in 3 places) but I was told I had to sleep in the boot sad  Yesterday was my first night in the boot and I think I might have slept 2 hours if that. Did you have any calf pain in the front? like shin pain? I am now getting random sharp/shooting pains in my shin, I suppose this is nerve endings...ugh something else to worry about ....

• Posted

Hi Pam,

I had a trim mal fracture as well and now have two plates and screws. When I first had the boot the pain across the top of my foot was unbearable. I realized that with the swelling I had to make the strap on the top of the boot loose to make room for the swelling. I was able to keep the strap around my ankle tight and my ankle cushioned well with air. I've slept with the boot now for six weeks. At night I fold an old pillow in half, lay on my side, my good leg is extended, and my broken leg I hold closer to my chest like a fetal position resting on the doubled pillow. I let out most of the air in the boot. My good leg and upper body go below the covers and my broken leg above. I cover my broken leg with a photo blanket of my kids. smile It's quite a process if I want to roll over! But I generally find in the morning I'm in exactly the same spot. I also use an app with the sound of crickets to calm me and remind me of happier times on vaca sleeping in a cabin in the woods. In the beginning, it was difficult to sleep but as time progresses it got better, and now I don't even notice the boot when I wake in the night. Hope you start to feel better. Btw, I also had the shin pain but that too went away, too. I am at 11 weeks post surgery. 

• Posted

Thx for replying, it's reassuring to know that others feel these random pains. Right now the top of the foot is the problem with the boot feeling to tight. Just  above my ankle on the top foot! I sure hope that one day soon I will have no more pain with this boot and sleep well. I will try your suggestions with the pillows, thanks so much 😊

• Posted

Had to sleep with my boot on for 6 weeks-YUK-but did get used to it enough to sleep. Wasn't even allowed to take boot off to wash-could only open it up enough to wash the leg off. So glad that is over. Hope things start getting better for you.

• Posted

Hi Pam -   yes, had pains everywhere actually !     But I've had more pain in the top of the Tibia, just under the knee joint.     I have a new exercise to do now and am finding that it's helping this pain.

When you are able, stand facing a wall.    Put your good leg behind you at a distance of about 12-16".     Put the toe of your injured leg up against the skirting board and bend your knee to touch the wall wthout taking your heel off the floor.     Each time you do this, move the foot back slightly so that you create a gap between toe and skirting board and as before, bend the knee to touch the wall.     This stretches the back of your leg but it also brings the front of your leg down over the Talus joint I think it's called.   I have found this exercise of great benefit.       But please check with your physio before you do anything!!!

• Posted

Oh Pam, I hope you are well now. I am starting on my second week with the boot can't bear it. The same as you, rubs with my scars and is too tight at the top of the foot. I took it out while in bed and put it on when going to the bathroom. But I'm must of the time in bed. What did you do? What did your doctor says about taking it out to sleep? My doctor is hard to speak to, always rushing, she intimidates me I think.

Please I would love your comments.

Regards Ana

• Posted

Mie never did say anything about always sleeping in the boot -I'm almost 4 weeks from surgery, and 2 1/2 weeks in the boot. I finally slept without the boot night before last, on a couple pillows, slept like a baby. So I am just not wearing the boot while I sleep, and I let my leg out a couple hours a day to "air". 

• Posted

Ouch! Did the doctor take a look at your incision? Make sure there is no redness in that area...my incision was terrible looking at first but I could tell it was heading in the right direction. The only thing that bothered my incisions (one on each side) was an ankle brace that I purchased that had a little piece of plastic running right alongside of the brace which I immediately stopped using. Maybe try a compression sock? Hang in there! I promise at about the 4 week mark the incision starts to really heal. Swelling goes down, and becomes less tender. You will be amazed at how tiny your incision becomes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.