Broken ankle, crutches for the FIRST time

Posted , 5 users are following.

I fell down the stairs and landed on my ankle, after being in the hospital yesterday the doctors said that the ankle was broken. I will have a leg cast for 8 weeks. And I have to use crutches for the first time.

Tips and tricks?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Morning😊

Get yourself a backpack so u can load it up with what u need this keeps your hands free also get a travel mug no handles on so u can put it in your pocket ( as i lived in my bathrobe and had straight pockets) this can help u transport a brew from kitchen to wherever your sitting...take your time whilst walking as its tricky to start with its steps you want no speed...also your crutches will come in handy for opening curtains and turning off the lights😂😂

Luv maria

• Posted

Good advice. Don't take too long to get used to them Emma. They become your best friends very fast. And yes just great for curtains lights and closing doors!! Good luck. Sx

• Posted

Hi Emma some good advice already, I agree it takes a bit of time getting used to them but beware wet floors as these can be lethal, if it is wet keep your crutches near your and small steps, turn them upside down and let them sit on the elbow rests, otherwise they spend so much time falling over.

I have been on mine a year now so there becoming a part of my life, not great but the other option is far worse, the time will fly by so don't worry, decorate them with ribbon, then you don't feel quite so dull

• Posted

Oh yes tell me about it. Slippy floors are no go. Even if air fresh gets sprayed, found that out pretty quickly when my son did out our washroom!! 😢 😢 😢 you do seem to find to most minutist drop of 💦 water. Let your eyes do the walking first. 14 weeks on mine and can't wait to see the back of them....

😔. Sx

• Posted

Yep anything and every thing, I personally think that carpets safer to some degree but then sometimes the Ferrell scuffs it, when its wet floors I use small flannels and drag them along, I go hydro twice a week and I am now petrified I'm going to fall after so many times one of mine has slid out from me and guaranteed its the left one so I step heavily onto left leg, the squeal can be heard to miles LOL I hope you are able to Chuck yours pretty soon.

What have yoy done if you don't mind me asking and Emma doesn't mind me hijacking for one post

• Posted

I've been waiting for opp on my right knee because of a torn cartalidge, so had to teach myself to put left leg as my main leg. So being silly stepped over a 2ft high barrier left leg first but couldn't lift right leg over and fell onto my knee leaving the foot up on the bar. No mark on knee no hole in trousers. But dislocated and broke ankle on both sides and shattering the right side badly. Just can't believe the damage I did. 14 weeks ago now. It's been toughest time of my life. What about you. Emma the other 2 beds on my ward all had ladies who had fallen dwn the station., with one of them breaking both ankles and her wrist!! So we have been lucky. Sx

• Posted

I decided that instead of going over a fence I had climbed safely quite a few times the last time I didn't make it and fell off the top, landed on our drive, fractured hip, pelvis and damaged knee and lots of soft tissue.

Long story but still struggling after a year, trying hard to walk as I hate crutches and not being able to dance LOL

• Posted

Emma, and responders,  You gals are amazing and I wish you all the best of luck and for you all to heal well and quickly.  Well, nothing goes as quickly as we would like.  When I fell down just 2 stairs I ended up in a cast (just 4 weeks) and had a choice of crutches or a knee scooter (which doesn't do stairs).  I did the scooter because I was afraid with crutches I would fall again and break something on the other side and then be in a real pickle.  I also thought that crutches would really hurt under my arms.  I learned later the it's the hands on the cross pieces that carry the weight not the under arms.  Dah....  We all can learn so much and get so much support for this website I'm greatful that I found it.  Emma, you have gotten great advice, follow it and your doctor and be patient.  Keep your spirits up and friends close.  You have my best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.