Broken ankle dang it I didnt listen

Posted , 4 users are following.

So almost 4wks ago I fell broke ankle had surgery fibula broke twice they put pins I never quit walking on it except 3 days well yesterday it started hurting bad so I thought it was infected I went to er not infected they don't think but hardware has moved either it's infected or hardware has moved and I should contact my surgeon immediately so I did had to call 3 times before someone called back the. Second time I had called the girl said if ur surgery has been longer than two wks they may not return ur call so when I came back the3rd time I said u know it's kinda dumb to have a on call number if when u have a problem the damn doctor won't call you back I was about ready to call a lawyer

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I kept walking on mine and had to have additional surgery each time.  It also gave me traumatic arthritis.  So much pain I had a fusion.  So I've had 5total surgeries and it's been a year.  The doc finally kept me in the hospital; got a wound infection; it was a nightmare.  Solution: get a wheelchair or crutches.  I can't fix stupid and stubborn .

• Posted

Hi Stephanie,

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

A lot of details you left out of your story:  like did your practitioner give you instructions on care after surgery, were you put in a boot or cast (and if a boot did you wear it), and how much walking and stress did you subject to your broken ankle.

I hope other ankle fracture patients will heed a crucial lesson your experience teaches: don't try to break the tested rules about non-weight bearing while a broke ankle is mending or else you are likely to have unpleasant consequences.

Good luck, and take care of your ankle.

• Posted

Okay so yes the doctor did give me instructions he told me to do range of motion with my foot and don't be up on my foot and I didn't listen and I was basically up on it except for like 3 days and so now I went back to the doctor today he said he doesn't know if the infection runs to the Bone or not but I'm making his job very difficult because now not only do I have a broken bone but now I have a open wound too so and he said my ankle will probably never be the same again so yes I was in a boot Iand I have also fallenlike 10 times since the initial fall but he sent me home said I don't have to wear the boot but wet dressings daily and no weight on it at all. He said eventually he will probably have to go in and remove the hardware but that he wasn't going to do it right now I asked you what it be be hurting forever and he said he didn't know depends how much I stay off of it and he also said that's why he didn't put a full cast on it because he knew I was going to walk on it

• Posted

Stephanie,

Well, a lesson learned and now you know you better play it safe and follow all the doctor's instructions to the letter.

As far as your doctor stating your ankle will never be the same again-- that may or may not be true. It's up to you to prove he is wrong, so take your recovery seriously and put in the hard work in physiotherapy, etc. to make it pay off in a reasonably healthy ankle you can rely on for the rest of your life.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.