broken ankle/fibula, now in walking boot

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I am a 17 year old and I broke my ankle (talus) and lower fibula getting dropped from a stunt in cheerleading. Both were clean breaks and non displaced. I was in a walking boot but non weight bearing on crutches for the first week, then after that in a cast for 4 more weeks. Last Tuesday was 5 weeks since the injury and I was put in a walking boot. I then cheered last Friday (I didn't jump, basically only stepped side to side and did arm motions) and then I went to homecoming and probably danced more than I should've. Now it's Tuesday and my ankle is kinda swollen and it hurts ALOT. Do y'all think I'm okay? Could I have rebroken my ankle? Or is is normal to have pain and swelling once you start weight bearing again??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you overdid it big time, but I understand the drive and need to get back into things, especially at your age smile (I have a 13 year old that is prone to injury also, due to a growth spurt - she's a dancer and she also does cirque (silks)... they have to attend their classes even when injured so that they don't miss out on learning the routines and working out whichever body parts are not injured).

Was the cast a walking cast, or were you NWB during those four weeks? That matters a lot as there is a fair amount of muscle wasting that goes on during the time while you are NWB. If you were NWB and then got the boot and managed to get to full weight bearing in just three days that is pretty speedy! You need to take it slowly and listen to your body. I think cheering and dancing was definitely overdoing and your body is trying to communicate that to you... listen to it smile

I would rest the ankle, elevate and ice it and dial the weight bearing back and take it nice and slow... listen to your body at every step of the way. If you are able to take something for the swelling I would do that also (I like to use arnica gel as it is natural but you can definitely also use an over the counter anti-inflamatory). There is supposed to be a progression with a return to weight bearing. If you foot hurts that is the sign of too much too soon. I take it you are "weight bearing as tolerated" (as am I)... sooo... that much wasn't tolerated wink

If the pain you are feeling now doesn't ease off after taking these steps, then make an appointment with your doctor and have it checked out so that you can make sure you haven't caused any problems. Your bones are still healing at this stage - they aren't ready for you to fully return to normal activities.

• Posted

Yes, my cast was NWB for the 4 weeks therefore I was on crutches. You're right, Im weight bearing as tolerated now and so of course I tolerate a lot so I can cheer! I iced and elevated it all afternoon and it feels a lot better! But I think I'm going to skip cheering this Friday.Thank you for all the information!!! 

• Posted

Its normal for swelling if its only been 6 weeks you might have just over did it., elevated it maybe put some ice on it. take it easy on your ankle.
  • Posted

Hi Courtney, I hope your foot feels better today!

Three months ago, I broke my ankle in two places and spent 8 weeks in a cast. After the cast was removed, I used crutches to get around although a borrowed wheelchair was still available to me(it made life easier, but I need to live without it).

So, I went from 2 crutches to one and then to none.

However, I got overly ambitious and walked downstairs landing hard on my foot, causing me much pain. I was quite concerned that maybe I had rebroken my ankle, but my physiotherapist told me not to worry. He said I wouldn't be able to walk or stand on my foot if it had been rebroken. Now I need to be extremely careful , I don't want that to happen again.

It seems to me that everything was ok until you started and finished dancing. 

I think the swelling is quite normal and you are more than likely fine. If your foot hurts badly when you put weight on it then please don't. No matter what, you may want to make an appointment with your doctor just to make sure everything is alright.

I hope you have a speedy recovery Courtney!

• Posted

I completely agree with CarolynCL! She gave you great advice. I understand you’re young honey but you have to SLOW down! Your body has gone through a traumatic thing and it’s working hard to repair itself. Take it slow and easy. I’ve, elevate and rest it. Don’t rush anything!  You don’t want to cause problems for yourself down the road. Good luck with everything try to take it easy take the steps that Carolyn suggested and best of luck !! Diane
  • Posted

Sounds pretty Normal. Ourbody is way more resilient then we feel it is. You should definitely keep easy and rest and keep elevated. Ice is also good. Keep up the good work!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.