Broken ankle last week! Cast to tight when I stand up

Posted , 6 users are following.

A week ago I fell on the ice and broke my ankle in 2 places I immediately went to a&e by ambulance and got X-rays to confirm the break in my ankle! It was very swollen on the area of breakage obviously no open skin and no visible bruising around that area the following day I had a appointment at the fracture clinic I had more X-rays to see if I needed a operation but they said it was healing well and that I wouldn't need a operation! But still had my cast on a couple days after I started to walk around and do house work duties without my crutches and walking on my cast (which I know I shouldn't do) 4  days later I woke up and could see brusing on the top of my foot Black & purple! I hadn't been elevating my foot hardly at all so I think that may be why the past couple of days I've started to elevate my foot and when I eventually stand up after elevating my cast goes all tight around my ankle and it's sort of a burning sensation for about a minute or 2 and I have to stand still then it goes away and just repeats when I ever I stand up after elevating! I don't wanna go to doctors and waste their time incase it is normal??? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear Daniella

I'm sorry to hear that you broke your ankle. It strikes me as being rather odd that just a couple of days after your accident that it was considered that you were healing well.....seems far too soon to know.

If indeed you did actually break your ankle in two places then I would have expected you to not be allowed to weight bear for at least six weeks.

I would arrange to be taken down to see a doctor or go to A+E to get this sorted ASAP but in the meantime avoid putting any weight on your ankle.

Cheers, Richard

• Posted

Hi, I think you've made things worse by not following guidelines re no weight bearing and keeping it elevated.

I recommend you go directly to a+e before the sports injuries start arriving and get it seen to immediately. You'll cause yourself and the NHS a lot more time and pain if it deteriorates any further. And take their advice seriously this time.

• Posted

How on earth have you managed to walk around without crutches and putting weight on your foot after only a couple of days?! My foot hasn’t made contact with the floor for 7 weeks and I still wouldn’t risk I now!

The burning and swelling after elevation is normal, but I think you need to go back to the hospital, check the breaks again and find out about your recovery timeline. 

• Posted

Hi Daniella,

Sorry to hear that you have joined this club... 

I broke my ankle in only one place and I was not allowed to bear any weight on my non-displaced fracture for 4 weeks (originally 6, was reduced to 4 as I made quick progress)! I wonder if you were told that your ankle "should heal well" as opposed to "was healing well" as I agree with the others that you can't tell much just a few days later.

Go in to see your doctor ASAP and get it checked out - and obey your doctor's orders! They are for your benefit... you don't want to make your condition worse. I spent most of my first few weeks resting, elevating and icing. I never intentionally placed weight on my foot (I did touch down lightly a few times when I lost my balance transferring from crutches to the couch but that was about it).

• Posted

Daniella,

I'm sorry this had to happen. Yes, I agree with other posters that it was really not a great idea to start walking on broken bones in a cast, only a few days after you broke the ankle.

It seems to me your attending medics at fracture clinic did not give you clear and direct instructions on what to do once you were casted. Standard procedure is:  non-weight-bearing on ankle for maybe 4-8 weeks (varies with type and severity of fractures, and your body's innate bone healing powers)-- there will be follow up x-rays to tell the doctor when bone is mended enough to safely bear some weight).

You should get some medical attention to review status of fractures after your little misadventure. And be sure to ask every question you can think of so you will better understand what is expected of you in recovery. Don't be afraid of doctors-- as a patient you deserve the best treatment possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.