Broken Ankle- ORIF Surgery what's next?

Posted , 7 users are following.

On NYE (yes, NYE) I managed to break my Fibula and damage all the ligaments in my ankle, including the Talus shifting out of position.

On 1st Jan, I had ORIF surgery on the leg, resulting in 7 screws and a plate being fitted (see photo of xray) and wound 2 weeks after surgery prior to stitches being removed (2 weeks after surgery).

4 weeks later (now) after being non-weight bearing for the last six weeks in a cast, I am due to visit the hospital to have a removable boot fitted.

The doc said this would be for 2-4 weeks.

My question is, how much longer will it be before I am able to go back to work? My job involves traveling through walking to the train station (10 min walk) and walking around an office for much of the day sitting with various different members of staff.

Realistically, how long would it be until I am walking freely and can walk properly in order to do my job?

Cheers!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Use a cane use a cane if you can help relieve the pressure on your ankle. It really helps rest every few hours with leg up and ice. Have you had any PT ?

THE best thing is when ur ready is to walk in sand it helps strengthen the muscles and tendons. Your foot has been through a lot of trauma it takes many months to heal. 

Hopexxxx

• Posted

I broke my ankle on both sides and had a plate fitted 22nd September, I went back to work on crutches on 5th December, my job is office based and I started driving 12th Dec.

It was very hard at first and I mainly sit down all day, the walking to and from my car park was exhausting.

I'm still limping but improving every week. My advice would be to go back on shorter hours if you can as you will be exhausted, just take your time and listen to your body. Every surgery and recovery is different so be patient and kind to yourself.

• Posted

For me, it has been a long journey. Im getting a fourth opinion. I'm very hopeful though. It does feel incredible to not drive or run, swim, etc. It is a humbling experience to rely on others for basic help. Being super independent to watching movies and reading all sorts of books.

Patience is all👍 We do live nowadays in an instant society. It takes time. Monica

• Posted

I had ORIF surgery on Oct. 29th for a trimalleolar fracture. No weight bearing until Dec. 21st.  Today I walk fine, but the ankle still gets sore when I am on it all day.  It takes time.  I am a retired counselor and I have gone back to subbing on Jan. 22nd.  Luckily I am able to sit most of the day.  Good luck and be patient.  
  • Posted

4 months would be ideal. If you are up on it too long during the day and too early, you could be doing more harm for it than good and may delay healing overall. I noticed there are many conversations on this site I have seen where people were having a lot of trouble 7-8 months out because they overdid it too early. 
  • Posted

It was 6 months before I returned to work everyone's different I am a nurse so on my feet a lot ,good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.