Broken Ankle Post op 6 months

Posted , 3 users are following.

I suffered a Webber B fracture distal fibula with a talar shift in June this year.  I had a plate and screws fitted.

Following NWB and physio I am walking very well now.  The problem is that my ankle swells up everyday & I have a strange feeling of tightness in my foot.

Where the incision is if I put any pressure on that side the pain is quite bad, if I am sitting on the floor with my legs crossed and the side of the ankle rests on the floor the pain starts.

Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a happy and very healthy 2018.

Thanks

Paul from London UK

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had a plate and screws in my leg in June and I have same problems and I go physio ,my consultant said yes scar looks good see u in Feb tryed telling him I get pains if I lie on it and it swells up all time and the pain gets bad ,I struggle first thing in morning it's so tight takes a while to get going 

• Posted

Hi Paul,

I would say your swelling and specific pains are not unusual at all. After what your ankle went through be thankful you are not like other ankle patients who experience a long-lasting ordeal with swelling, pain, and great difficulty walking normally.

Swelling is likely a sign of continued inflammation and irritation in joints and all soft tissues that were damaged in injury and post-surgery. That's a normal reaction in many bodies, even if it is distressing.

You can help reduce inflammation with judicious icing of affected ankle, and elevation whenever possible. Also, an anti-inflammatory (cut out junk food and empty calories) plus certain supplements and herbs will help reduce your inflammatory load.

Ankle tightness and pain should resolve in time. Be sure you are doing your ankle exercises and prescribed physical therapy to strengthen and stabilize joints and connective tissue. This is important to reduce chances of your developing an unstable ankle (and risk of arthritis) later.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.