Broken ankle top of foot pain with boot

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! I broke my ankle January 25, had surgery on the 31st, and got put into the boot feb 15th. Since then I have had extreme pain on the top of my foot and back of my heel. I believe the heel pain is just nerves and I get relief once I take the ankle out of the boot. But the top of my foot has these two red sores that came out of nowhere, and gets no relief when I take my boot off anymore. At night is the worst and I can’t sleep through the night. The pain wakes me up every 20-30 minutes. Is anybody else experiencing something similar?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am so sorry you fractured your ankle. I fractured/ dislocated my ankle on the same exact day. I had surgergy on 1/27/2018, I had to get screws and plates inorder to attach my bones. Currently, I am wearing a boot and using crutches, still no weight bearing. So far, my pain has subsided, I no longer have to rely on pain meds, which is great. I just take an aspirin on a daily basis to prevent blood clots. I perform daily exercises wiggling my toes, which is beneficial. Although, I attempt to move all my toes, I can barely wiggle my big toe, and far as my other toes, I can move them a tad bit.

As far as sleeping at night, I was experiencing the same exact pain, accept my pain I believe was worst. My rt leg was swollen tremendously, and I would feel a throbbing pain in my leg and foot, as a result, I couldn't sleep. Even though, I was following doctors order, and still my foot would be painful and numbed. Now, I am sleeping peacefully. I have to keep my boots on while I am asleep, all I do is detach the velcro straps so my foot can relax. Feel better.

• Posted

Prior to the boot what did you have on a plaster cast?  I had ankle surgery on January 24 and went into a plaster cast which was removed on February 13th for a fiberglass cast. I am having pain on the bottom of my foot which is probably from swelling and nerves rubbing on the cast.   I have to wait until March 1 to get a boot on. Although I was told if the pain is too bad they can put the boot on early. It is interesting how some doctors skip the fiberglass cast. I wish mine did
    • Posted

Prior to the boot, I had a splint on, which was very painful to my calf. I was ecstatic when I got the splint removed; it was so painful. I was experiencing a lot of pain on the buttom of my foot as well. I promise you the pain should cease. I was in agony for two and a half weeks. Do you elevate your feet? I elevate my foot 23 hrs per day.
  • Posted

Do you take your boots off in order to relieve pressure from the boots? Sometimes, I remove the boot and rest my leg on a pillow.
    • Posted

Yes, I take the boot off four times a day to exercise my toes and stretch out my ankle. I keep it elevated all day on a pillow. 
  • Posted

I only had that plaster splint on for 11 days. It was so painful and my heel was stuck to the plaster from dried blood and it pulled constantly causing bad pain. They then took out the stitches and put on the boot. 

It gets better, hang in there. Use polysporin on those sores and give them air by loosening the boot open while elevating your foot.

Good luck!

• Posted

Yolander, thank you for your response. Crazy that yours happened in the same day as mine. I’m off pain meds as well, but if the pain keeps up I’m not sure it will stay that way. I’m not sure why the pain is so bad with the boot on at night. I have to get up and rest  my leg on the floor constantly to stop the pain. Is keeping the boot on but not tightening the straps efficient for you? 
    • Posted

Good Morning, Count1234

Your question regarding wearing the boot unfastened while I am asleep, I discovered when I don't strap the velcro I sleep soundly as opposed to strapping the boot. I also prop a pillow under my leg as well. Feel better.

• Posted

I do, I make sure I use two small pillows in order to prevent the boot from shifting.
    • Posted

I tried it with the boots straps loosely on, and I slept much better than before. The only issue is that it doesn’t keep my heel where it needs to be and pillows wouldn’t help it from sliding up. 
  • Posted

I did the same thing just rested the foot in the boot with no straps on . It seems to have worked just fine plus protecting your foot in case you turned or hit it with your other foot 
    • Posted

I prop a pillow under my leg, then use two small pillows in underneath my pillow in order to keep my foot aligned. I am glad that you are sleeping better!
    • Posted

You need to prop each small pillow underneath the pillow which supports your leg, Make sure you place the small pillows underneath left and right side of your pillow. This technique may be comfortable for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.