Broken ankle venting!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

It's now been 1 month since I fractured and dislocated my left ankle. 1 month of pain,surgery,2 splints and now a cast. I've been active and into sports my whole life and have had my share of injuries including 2 ACL tears and a few ankle sprains but this latest injury has been the toughest one so far. I'm constantly bored. I work as a personal trainer at a gym but obviously can't do that right now. I constantly have to elevate my foot and still have considerable pain if I don't. I got hurt playing in a local volleyball league trying to make a play at the net. Today I went back to the same court where I got hurt at and watched my team play. As I sat there watching the game I just kept thinking about the injury and everything I felt that day. I'm trying to stay positive and take it one day at a time but some days are better than others.

On another note. I do love how when I'm out in public random people stop by and ask what happened and how I'm doing. People also share stories of times that they got hurt. It's reassuring to know you're not the only one this has happened too lol. Although I do find it funny when people ask if it hurt? Lol

Anyway I just felt bored and frustrated and had to vent. Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dion you can vent anytime isn't that what this site is for lol. I've only been to the accident site once and I was passing in the car I actually closed my eyes as hard as I could while squeezing the heck out of my boyfriends hand. Idk if you read in one of my other comments I lost my best friend in the same accident. So these last 6 months have been very rough. I never had a cast. I was non weight bearing for the 1st 8 weeks on my right leg and another 4 weeks on the left leg. Then I started with this moonboot. The pain is still horrible better than it was but still very painful. I actually wish my dr would go ahead and do the bone graft now that instead of waiting another 6 weeks to see what this bone stimulator is going to do. It hasn't shown any progress yet. I'm tired of laying around and having to depend on others. I have a 4 year old son that needs his mommy.

• Posted

Nicks ! So sorry you were certainly dealt a rough hand. I complain about loosing mobility but you have reminded me of just how lucky I have been. 
    • Posted

I love that you called our airboot moonboot. I need all the humor I can get. I cancelled lunch plans the other day because I was running late (everything takes so dang long to do) and then the thought of me needing people to bring me my food because I can't just made me want to stay inside and say F it. While I accept most things as a challenge this is most continuous and frustrating as an independent person. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. That's a horrible thing to have to go through on top of your injury.

• Posted

Jenni this has been by far the hardest thing I've ever had to do. On top of all of this my dr keeps screwing up the orders for PT. Laying in this damn hospital bed isn't gonna help me in any way shape or form.

• Posted

Good lord I would be insane if I had to remain in hospital after one night of incompetence of staff and the threat of being in a gender mixed room, my awesome husband said "She's coming home" he sounded like the terminator and they said ok.i have not been alone in a bedroom with male except my husband for 40 years except for two nights in hospital 4 years ago after a gangrene gall bladder removal. I was put in a room with 3 men and was terrified and my husband promised he would never allow it to ever happen again unless he could stay with me. He was true to his word and. I'm in Australia and I hope wherever you are they don't do mixed wards. And yes this injury is bad enough without the grieving your suffering. And survivor guilt would be ten fold for you. I do hope your getting help with the mental trauma as well. Feel free to private message whenever you need a sound off. Xxxlove to you. Jenni. 

• Posted

I gave myself a trimalleolar fracture in my driveway 6/24/17, and while I'm a healthy 37yr who's used to bouncing back, there is no speeding up of this recovery. My calf has atrophied, ROM diminished, and I'm crutching it everywhere because I'm not a good knee scooter driver except for in my house, and it's the only exercise I'm getting. I'm finally at a place where I can find other exercises to do and not having this horrible burning pain/need to constantly elevate. A flower delivery man shared his story with me the day after surgery and it is reassuring to know I'll walk again because right now I feel concerned for my mobility when I'm able to weight bear! I won't be able to run for months, boo that.

• Posted

I've been told the same thing about my trimalleolar fracture that its going to be a long and slow recovery. Like you I prefer to use my crutches when I'm out in public not only for the exercise but it just feels easier to get around with. I took the knee scooter out the other day and it just felt awkward. I am however feeling better each day with a tolerable amount of pain and discomfort that usually comes from being up on my crutches too long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.