Broken Ankle, What to expect ?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, im new to this site. i am 17 years old. i had a very bad fall a little bit over an month ago. I had a trimalleolar fracture. i went to bed with my broken ankle thinking it wasnt even broken and it was just nothing and the pain will go away, but it didnt lol so the next morning i went to the hospital. The same day i went to the hospital i got surgery that night, and had an plate and some screws put in. The first 2 weeks were so bad and painful for me i was on heavy medication and was unable to go to school due to the medication. After 2 weeks my staples were removed and i was placed in a walking boot. i am now on week 5 into recovery. Next week i have an doctors appointment and from what i was told, PT is gonna start.. what should i expect from it?? when will my foot go back to its normal color?? how long from now will i be able to walk?? i have been so anxious, im a very independent person. All i do is work and go to school, and i just want to go back to doing that asap. i also went into some depression after surgery, is that even a thing?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi!

I had a similar break as you, and also had the plate and screws put in.

After two weeks they gave me a walking boot as well. Believe me when I tell you, if you are 5 weeks out - the worst part is over. When I started physical therapy, I was walking with a limp and still in pain. The physical therapy does wonders! It also helps to watch youtube videos and do some exercises on your own at home. If I remember correctly, after just two weeks of PT I was walking much better and with little pain. Unfortunately, I still experienced a lot of swelling. If you have a sporting goods store or department store, maybe look for a ankle brace with ice packs! I used to keep one in the freezer for after PT and it would really help take the swelling down.

As far as the depression...it is so real, and I am sorry you are going through it! But I was there too. This was my first broken bone, and I literally had nights where I felt like I wanted to die. I would just cry and cry. Luckily my family was very supportive. Just know you WILL get through it, and it will get better! It all just takes time. I had my surgery a year and a half ago now, and I can honestly say I only get minor aches and pains when it rains, other than that (besides the wicked scar) it is like it never happened.

This site is also a great resource. A lot of people on here are going through the same thing which is so helpful.

Hope you are feeling better soon!! You will get through it, stay positive!

• Posted

thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. it gives me so much hope!!

• Posted

I hear you. I understand. Please know that being young is a big PLUS! All the things you mentioned seem par for the course. Please do everything your PT advises & of course your Doc. Invest in a few good ice packs. I'm willing to bet you will bounce back in due time. So, my advice (& I am 40 years older) is....set up your campsite, get one of those reacher thingys, keep things as simple as possible....become a minimalist at least for this season of your life. Oh, and an ice chest by my bed really helped in many ways!

You are going to be just fine dear... I just know it.

• Posted

thank you for the feedback and advice!! i really try to do everything as simple and easy as possible.

• Posted

You're depression is very real. I think the pain wears you down along with, in my case, the guilt of thinking how the accident could have been avoided. I hit certain plateaus where every day was the same with no improvement and being dependent was enough to get anyone down. I found myself at times getting a gnawing feeling in my gut, all of a sudden depressed and would start crying. Although your foot may look like it will never look a normal color in time it will get there. Recovery is far more important. PT is very helpful and they know how far you can be pushed to walk thru the pain and also getting your balance back. It seems counterproductive to walk on something so sore but ya have to do it. It took me about 5 and a half months to be able to run around doing errands for 4 to 5 hours, dance and wear 2 and a half inch heels. However, I still feel like there's an elastic band in my foot ,get different pains (nothing excruciating) and sometimes parts feel numb. My ankle bone is still a little swollen and tender to touch. I think it takes over a year for a full recovery. I'm a person who usually recovers very quickly but that doesn't happen with a broken ankle. Being on this site made me realize what"s normal for recovery.. I certainly didn't want to be behind. But the good news is I'm 70 and you are a hell of lot younger and will probably heal quicker. Trust me I know it's hard to do but you're gonna need patience. Good luck to you and keep us posted!

• Posted

Lea

So sorry to hear about your ankle

I had same type of break with surgery in July

I started PT beginning of September and by mid to late September I could walk with no assistance.

I wasnt walking perfect but I was walking and able to do most of my daily routine

I am now walking almost 3 miles per day

Yes, depression is very normal I went into deep depression I am very active (as you are) and to go from busy social life to sitting around is a real downer

I enjoyed PT and found it very beneficial

Hang in there!

• Posted

that was the worst part about my injury, was the depression. i am also a very active person. and i don't live with my parents, so my world was turned upside down. i felt so useless and hopeless but this site and hearing from others peoples experiences has given me hope! thank you for your feedback

• Posted

PT is very beneficial but I hated it. I guess because this wracked my body and mind so much I would have anxiety attacks when I went and would actually need an ice pack on my neck. I couldn't cope having a hard time doing some things and the bottom line was just not being my normal self. I guess I was lucky for 70 years to get away with out any serious injuries and I've had some bad falls coming out unscathed. I know I sound like a baby and I'm really not. Prior to this I had just gone into remission for lung, bone and colon cancer . I did what I had to do but went on with my life like nothing was wrong with me. I guess in my mind it's like I breezed through 2 years of batting cancer and a fractured ankle is what did me in?????? So perhaps I guess that's another reason I took it so hard. Now that I'm getting over the ankle I fractured 2 ribs ( probably because they were weak from radiation) and here we go again with another painful recovery, I feel like Mike Tyson keeps punching me and knocking me down every time I stand up..

• Posted

dee

That is a lot to come back from and certainly understand your anxiety and frustration

I keep worrying about another injury and find myself being extra cautious in everything I do

Ill be 68 in a few weeks and think about having weak bones so when any other part of my body starts to ache I immediately think my other ankle or shoulder or leg is going to sustain an injury

I fell down two carpeted stairs in my house and broke the ankle in 3 places!!! Stupid!!!

I hope your injuries begin to heal and your body feels stronger

All my best

• Posted

because I'm getting over the hard part of the injuryI broke mine in 3 places too . I was getting off our boat at night in our driveway, which I've done many times, and I had the last step calculated in my head. The problem was I didn't know hub had the boat hiked higher because he was draining the water. It was like taking the last step 3 feet off the ground while blindfolded. I think even a teenager would have broken their ankle if they did that. My bones must be in pretty good shape for my age because quite honestly the way I went flying and landed I should have had other broken bones, my wrist included because it was real sore, My head missed the trailer by an inch and I ended up landing on my shoulder, So I guess I should be thankful it was only my ankle I broke. My rib is where I had the cancer and radiation so It's compromised to begin with. I was cautious too but now that I'm at the end of my recovery I have to keep reminding myself to slow down .... the problem I'm ALWAYS in a hurry......But any way, Cheers to all of us for a healthier happier year to come !!!!!!!! Good luck to you and all here. Saluta as I raise my glass !

• Posted

dee

Exactly how I had my accident Rushing around like an idiot!!!

Now I pay attention

Good wishes to all

• Posted

my first sentence is out of place in my last post.Dont know how it got there. lol

• Posted

Depression is definitely a thing. After I broke my right tibia 10/27/19 it has been a physical and emotional battle forsure. Its not easy and you wont be back to doing things ASAP. I dont want to burst your bubble but you cant think like that or you'll cause yourself more emotional stress. Im 36 with a 9 year old child and my life has been flipped upside down. Focus on healing properly and take it as easy as possible. I am now in a boot with some weight bearing but it still a difficult process learning how to walk again after muscle atrophy. I wish you happy healing and all the positive energy needed for a 100% recovery! ❤

• Posted

Aww lea you have your age on your side so for a start you are onto a winner straight away!!! It is the worst injury imaginable for the person suffering this and your feelings are the same feelings we all got when we also had varying breaks and surgery. Your mind is a very smart thing though and you have to keep telling yourself this is temporary, although still a very traumatic injury, it is definately temporary. I had to keep telling myself this every day, and every day was a step closer to being fully recovered and back to some kind of normality. Hang in there kid, there is a light at the end of what will probably appear to be a never ending tunnel.

I am 7 months post surgery and apart from a few niggles, mainly due to the cold weather, I am back, driving, walking, cycling, swimming, up and down the stairs etc as normal.

Michelle x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.