Broken ankle yesterday

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am hoping for some advice I am a 50 year old women who is normally very active. I slipped down 3 stairs at home yesterday morning and have broken the fibula just about the ankle bone. Clean break all in place no surgery required and have a boot no cast. Have a little swelling not much pain and can weight bear with the boot and crutches. Have fracture clinic again next Friday.

My questions are how long do you think it will take to heal and the boot be off. I am travelling to Jamaica in 5 weeks and I have been told I can still travel . Just don't want to be in this all holiday and not be able to go in the pool.

I am soooo annoyed with my self to think I will ruin my families holiday.

Thanks

Sandra

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

You should be in the boot for 6 weeks and then convert to Aircast ankle support. Will take approx 3 months to come right. See no reason to cancel holiday but would upgrade to business class.

Regards Mr Ankle

• Posted

Good morning

Thanks for your speedy reply.

As I will be away when the 6 weeks is up could I take the boot off do you think???

Also could I lying on sun lounger with nothing on but put it on when up and about. If I brought a plastic cover could I go in the pool???

Cant believe  my luck saved for 18 months for this family holiday and have pre booked lots of trips while there.

Travelling with First Choice on Dreamliner so hope that will give me more room. Do you know if I will need a fit to fly letter etc.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi

Purchase an aircast ankle support to take with on holiday. Order wheel chair at the airport prior to travel. Take with you one crutch. Start swimming and walking in the pool as soon as you like. You don't need any water proofing as you should only be wearing a swimming costume in the pool.

Good luck

Mr Ankle

• Posted

Hi Mr Ankle

You have made me feel better and can see light at the end of the tunnel. Have you had this type of injury before as you are very knowledgable . Where can I order a good air boot from ?? I have spoken to my travel agent concerning flying and the wheelchair requirement. 

Would it be best to have the leg up constantly or use it moving about with the crutches. I want t give myself the best oppotunity for the healing to move on as quick as possible.

I have looked this morning at the ankle just by opening the boot to wash my leg and the swelling is not much at all but the bruising is coming out now all over.

I do appreciate your help and information.

Best Wishes

sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra

Wear the boot, Aircast I hope, until you are able to put some weight on you foot without too much pain and then convert to Aircast ankle surport. Go away with Aircast support and one crutch. Swim and walk in the pool as soon as you arrive on holliday. By the end of the holiday you will be way on the way to a full recovery.No dacing please.

Good luck

Mr Ankle

Aircast boot and aircast Ankle surport available from amazon or Ebay

good luck

• Posted

Hi Sandra

I see you can remove the boot for washing, so ask your consultant if you are able to swim, & if so get him/her or a physio to give you water based exercises.I had a similar injury - clean break - mine was the tibia - and as soon as I was out of the cast & in a boot, I was back in the pool, swimming with a pullbuoy, walking in the water, even before I was able to walk on land. Take the boot off on poolside but be very careful of crutches on wet floors!

You may need a fit to fly letter - check with your airline - and ask the doc for advice on how to keep the leg from swelling on the flight.

Keep leg elevated whenever you are sitting down, wiggle your toes, bend the knee, circle the hip. Exercise the rest of your body as much as you can. By the time your holiday comes you should be nearly healed so I am sure you will be able to remove the boot when you are on the beach/pool etc.

Mr Ankle mentions the Aircast support - this is excellent once you are out of the boot - lightweight & comfortable but very supportive.

Get weĺl soon and enjoy your holiday!

• Posted

Hi Sandra, I know this happened over a year ago but taking a chance to see if you will still get the notification.    It seems we have almost the same break and I am curious now how the recovery period went and how long it did take?  I slipped going up 3 stairs at home.  Missed the first one.   I am 12 days post break and just wearing a boot.   No weight bearing yet except with my toe to balance myself when using crutches or walker.   I have to say I have quite a bit of pain but do have moments when I think it's not too bad.     I am off work until October 20th for follow-up X-Rays.  Am hoping there's an improvement by then.  smile

• Posted

I broke both my ankles Jan 2 2017. I will be 51 in a few months. I am going stir crazy. I have one fiber glass cast and one air boot. How long did it take for you???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.