Broken back

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all.

I am sure there have been hundreds of posts that have been like this. I fell and hurt my back in early March. It took 4 ER visits to finally be diagnosed with a broken L1 vertabrae. I've finally gotten some tests done and I finally see the doctor on Thursday but the MRI results dropped in my app today.

They are confusing and frightening to me. Has anyone been through this? I fell trying to roller skate. Ha. Yeah won't be helping fundraising at the school anymore.

A lot of the terms make sense but some are really not making sense to me even looking them up online. I'm just looking for others that have gone through this crazy ordeal as well.

Any help would be appreciated! I can help post my MRI results if needed.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi katiescarl,

Sorry to hear from you. I think you should visit an experienced physician

Thanks..

• Posted

I did, but I wanted someone that went through the same thing as I did. I had hoped someone had gone through this as well.

I have more questions now than I do answers. I am seeing the best spine doctor in my area and feel like I have no options.

• Posted

Do you have osteoporosis?  I ask this because I have and after a CT scan for something else a few years ago I was old that I had an old fracture of my L4 vertebrae but I don't know when it happened, possibly when I slipped on a wooden staircase a few years before.  A couple of years later and after a bone scan I was told I had another one at L9.  I have never had any treatment, apart from going to a private osteopath to try and relieve the very bad back pains I was having at one time, possibly caused by the second break which I also don't know how it was caused. It's possible to walk around with a broken back and not know it!   At the moment I am being investigated for a fractured femur. As if that's not bad enough I had been taking osteoporosis medication for many years and recently saw an orthopaedic consultant to discuss my osteoporosis, had an x-ray and found out that I have a very small fracture in my right femur.  Apparently the medication can cause "rare" fractures for which the treatment is a nail and screws inserted in the femur, something I already have in the other one from where I slipped in the garden and broke it, probably also caused by the medication. I don't know if this will be of any help to you but your "broken back" might not be as bad as you fear it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.