broken back, not going to bed at descent hours, weight gain

Posted , 2 users are following.

I need some advice please.

My partner has broken his back four years ago. He is walking and going to the Physiotherapist twice a week. since braking his back he has gained allot of weight.

He is inactive because of his limited movement / pain. He studies full time online, so sitting at a desk allot. He has trouble going to sleep sometimes, and cant sleep on his back and will always sleep on his stomach. Sometimes he goes to bed at 3am in the morning! not sure what time he is getting out of bed, maybe 9-10am.

He eats relatively healthy. its more his portion size is very large and not at normal meal times. I know sometimes he has a coffee for breakfast, lunch at 2-3pm (last nights left overs) and will eat dinner with us or maybe an hour later. He is having 1-2 glasses of red wine every night. 

I've tried telling him, that you should come to bed earlier, eat breakfast and drink water. He is always very defensive whenever i talk about loosing weight or eating less or more greens. Has tried diet shakes, but not consistent.

He says that he functions better at night, because of his body clock (he used to do shift work years ago) but i have said that can be changed.

I want to be more encouraging but he just shuts down. How do i get through to him? i love him and don't want him to be in an early grave.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. If your friend doesn't want to change, there is little you can do. 

Erratic meal timings, eating leftovers and large meal portions could be the culprit. If he brings down portion size, and avoids processed, packaged or canned food, it should help greatly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.