Broken Bones and a twisted hand and a straw that broke the camels back.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all. I would like to say something here because I am angry. I do not want sympathy but could do with a friend or two.In February I fell and broke both bones in my wrist. It was pinned 4 days afterwards in 2 places. I noticed the hand was set a little to the side plus I was in agony. I was sent to physio..a lot of physio. I kept explaining the wrist was somehow ridged rather than stiff. After months of excuciating pain I decided to get the little xray picture I had been given enlarged. I saw that one pin overlapped the joint of the wrist and hand and there looked to be a little nail just tipping into the joint. I explained this to physio who pulled up the Xray..nothing wrong with it they said. I have to say it did not look like my hand but I trusted them. Finally after too much pain I told physio this just was not working for me. They sent me back to the doctor. I attended taking my Xray with me. This time an exact copy of that was pulled up and it was confirmed to me that yes the pin overlapped the joint and yes the pin needed to come out..it was put over the joint as I did not have enough joint space..but why send me to physio then? What sort of torture was that?  I am to have a new operation in a week..but I no longer have trust or confidence, plus the hand itself is still sort of twisted. I opened a letter yesterday that my GP wants to cut my pain meds..that just did it for me..as not only do I have the wrist and hand pain but I also have frozen shoulder. I have been three months asking for my medical records. The problems causd by my hand disablement have been ignored. I have asked for a second opinion on the hand and been advised against it on the grounds I would have to stay with the medic of the second opinion from..God knows what damage has been done to the joint from all the physio. Disgusted!

2 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank for getting back everyone.

I am going into a battle I think. I have also been denied my medical records on the strangest excuses such as 'how do we know the letter that was dropped into reception was from you', ..'exactly what part of your medical records do you want' 'why do you want them'?  I now need to look at the medical screens and find exactly what is on there or more tellingly what is not..This is awful and I realise what little power I actually have..

• Posted

Hello Sky,

I just wish the medics would accept that we know our bodies quite well ourselves thank you very much! I get fed up with them talking to you as though you were some kind of cyberchondriac and that you couldn't possibly know more than them. I pulled up with an horrific pain in my groin in January ( I am a long distance runner) I COULD NOT  run any further. I took myself off to the osteopath who proceeded to jump all over it and crunch my pelvis etc etc. Then I went to GP  who sent me away with Naproxen (WORST meds for broken bones though he wasn't to know that at the time) No improvement, went to chiropractor, acupuncture the physio until finally 4 months later in May to a hip surgeon who looked at my x.ray and announced a pubic rami stress fracture which was by now beginning to heal itself. I would rather have all 4 of my childbirth labours concurrently while simultaneously sticking pins in my eyes than EVER endure this pain again. The hip surgeon sent me back to my GP to get some proper pain relief but he was just vile to me, it was as though I had exposed his mis diagnosis but it was nothing of the sort. I do NOT hold anybody responsible for my condition other than me but I do absolutely LOATHE the way they treat you. You have my UTMOST sympathy. You take care and get better soon . You will, I can at long long last see the light now myself

• Posted

thanks for the thoughts..will reply when sane..read new post xxxv

• Posted

had the operation..after was asked if i wanted the good news first or the bad news..here is the bad..they broke the ulna bone when taking out the pin..so now it is repinned and am in plaster...unbelievable...never got around to the good news..i absorbed the new bad news and asked to be referred to another hospital as an emergency case...so many angry faces..waiting for anasthetic to wear off..fed up.
    • Posted

OMG how awful.  I think you must be spitting nails.  However, one thing I hope you can do is let that anger go (easy for me to say, I know) because your body needs you to be in a condition where it can heal.  I really and truly hope that you very soon get the help and support you need to get this situation rectified.  💕
    • Posted

i will try not to be angry...but this is cold fury..i knew when i walked in there this morning it was a bad idea...but i had to try to get out of pain..they are too casual i think..and i was not given any little xray this time to see the new break..guess they learnt not to do that...xxv
  • Posted

I noticed your post was a month ago. I hope you're doing better. My heart goes out to you.

• Posted

Thanks for the kindness..well I am still in pot to the wrist. Mum has had anti-biotics for the bedsore the hospital is responsible for. We have moved house out of range of that particular hospital and have put in two formal complaints. Moving was something else..it took at lot of help and gritted teeth..I go to a new hospital next week fot the cast to be removed..I do not know what will happen next..one thing I do know..you have to be very careful when you make complaints..the world seems a very nasty place these days,

XV

• Posted

I am writing this as a warning for all those who may sustain similar breaks to the wrist and have pain which is being ignored.

Been to a new hospital in a new town. The consultant ordered XRays prior to removing the pot. A wise man. Anyway photos came back and he sat down and told me there were multipal problems with the wrist. 1st there is a shard of bone in the joint that the previous hospital had failed to get out in the two operations I have had, 2nd the ulna bone is too prominent (think that means how it was set but I did not ask cause was too shocked on the shard of bone) and 3rd there was arthritis in the wrist. My previous hospital told me everything was ok on an XRay under 3 weeks ago. Anyhow am now put in plaster again for 6 weeks. In front of me the new consultant dictated a letter to the former hospital saying, 'what do they wish hom to do with this patient, please advise'. If anyone thinks I am going back to the lying hounds for a third attempt at fixing a bodged up job they are mistaken. I do not know whether I will use my wrist again. Good news is my Mum has a case.

• Posted

Once things are settled, which may take a while, please try to publicize what happened to you and your mother.  The system tends to protect its own, and you have been telling us about horrendous incompetence which should be exposed - once the two of you are mended and definitely in safe, competent care.  Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.