broken femur

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all had a fall  Dec 6 17 result broken femur open fracture I am 72 still working until 

this had rod and nail fix looking at other posts appears most have this fix removed later

I am in London is this common practice I would be worried bone might break again

Regards Jim

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm 72 and when I was 68 I slipped in the garden and broke my femur in half and had a nail and screws to fix it. It had healed within seven months but I was getting discomfort at my hip and knee which was caused by the screws being too long and the problem at my knee was that the tendon was flicking over the end of the screws which eventually causes damage to the tendon.  Seventeen months after the fracture I had to go in as a day case to have the screws and nail removed, however, they found that the bone had grown over the end of the nail so only took out the screws.  There is a chance that they could break the femur trying to remove the nail so I would think they would avoid doing it if they can.

By the way, I had been on osteoporosis medication (bisphosphonates) for seven years and stopped the tablets for two years during which time I broke my femur so I was put back on them for another three years but stopped them again about last August.   I have recently had x-rays done and it turns out the I have at least one very small fracture in my other femur definitely caused by the osteoporosis medication.  It is believed that this is why my other femur broke so easily so I have been told NEVER to take them again and will be seeing an orthopaedic surgeon in a couple of days where I may be told that I will have to have another nail inserted in that leg to stop it breaking as that is the normal procedure for something called an atypical femur fracture.  To anyone who is taking osteoporosis medication and who is getting unexpected aches or pains in your thighs, groin or hip then don't just put it down to old age but go and get it checked out. If I hadn't been sent to see an osteoporosis consultant I would never have known about atypical fractures and their being caused by medication that is supposed to make our bones stronger.

• Posted

I'm sure this is what I had. I was on strontium ranelate (now discontinued). Just stood up from the computer, my leg gave way and I fractured my femur!

• Posted

Hi Spindles many thanks for relating your troubles in order to help

others make more informed decisions

Best Wishes

• Posted

I'm 27 and I have a rod and screws in my femur for 5 years the screw they put in my knee sticks out but Dr told me they wouldn't remove unless it causes problems but now months ago the screw in my hip broke and a fracture below my hip I have since refractured same spot 3 times in 6 months the er Dr here say rod in femur isn't moving and screw being broke isn't a problem but I keep refracturing same spot. I finally got in with the sergeon that put rod in to find out what's going on. But after the screw just breaking without having a injury to cause it. just make sure talk to sergeon about most of Time they want leave it in for couple years

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.