Broken fibula 4 weeks ago, allowed to weight bear but still painful... is this normal??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I hope any reply would provide some answer to my question. Broken my fibula a month ago, wore a back slab for 3 weeks then cast on for another 4 weeks and was told I could bear weight. I tried and a week later (after the cast has been fitted, so 1 week in cast and 4 weeks after break) there is still too much pain. Not sure if I just ‘walk through’ the pain or actually keep nwb?? The pain is not near the break but at the top of my foot almost by the talus bone. Any reply much appreciated. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, do not walk through the pain! I was only told yesterday, one week out of a cast, at my first physio appointment, this is not a case of no pain, no gain. I suggest you keep off the leg until you feel very little to no pain and even then rest it as much as possible.

Good luck with this, it really sucks!

Jo.

• Posted

Don't let anyone tell you to walk through the pain. Your body is telling you, "Hey self, Something isn't right. the foot hurts!" Each patient is going to have different levels of pain. We are unique beings. 

I had an "ankle fusion " on Sept 6th, 2017. I continued telling the surgeon something wasn't right. I had an x-ray every 6 to 8 weeks. He continued to tell me the fusion looks great, he did have to remove a screw that was backing out. and I would reply can we do a c-scan? Something is wrong. Well, I wished he was right. After the c-scan, he said your right. The unfortunate thing for being right, I will be going back into the hospital for my second fusion. I tell all my friends and family, "You are your biggest advocate." 

Research, research and then research again. 

• Posted

Thanks also! I might give the doc a call again then. Doubt they’ll do much. This is such a nuisance! Good luck with recovery
  • Posted

Hey Mic I answered your question about weight bearing on the other post where you asked me about it. Just now seeing this post. In regards to the pain not being near your break that is my experience too. I too broke my fibula. My break was at the ankle. I found my pain to be in the ankle joint and not where my break was for the most part. My theory although I only discussed this part with my husband (who’s had over 200 broken bones and has had little sympathy for my one break lol) is that my ankle had not been used or supported any weight in 5 weeks. All the parts that weren’t broken had to get used to bearing weight again. It’ll get there but give it time to adjust and strengthen back up. Details about my progress are in my other response.
  • Posted

Do not walk through the pain! Keep your broken leg elevated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.