Broken fibula

Posted , 7 users are following.

How long until I can go back to work? My job requires a lot of walking and is very physical. I clean and maintain pools and the person I work with wants me back at work this week. The break happened only 2 days ago.. in a lot of pain and don't even have my boot yet. Idk why he thinks it's ok for me to go to work within a week of me breaking it. What are your guys thoughts. Will I be ok to work?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

IMO it would be crazy. Have you asked your doctor and if so what was the answer?

Cheers Richard

• Posted

No... sorry to hear about your break but no way mate...takes 6-8 weeks for most fractures to heal and then start to weight bear if your lucky your doctor might let you put some weight on it straight away but healing takes time please take things slow...and always ask the doctor
  • Posted

No you won't be able to work yet. Provide an doctors note to your boss and look into benefits you might receive while off. In Canada we get 14 weeks on heLth leave from Unemployment insurance. If you get a walking boot and are allowed to walk on it, then your doc may let you go back in a few weeks. Keep it elevated and stay off it and put ice on it for pain relieve.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi,

I broke my fibula in Dec. was in a cast for six weeks and was unable to walk a long way or do a lot of manual stuff (cleaning gardening etc.), for five more weeks. You're probably going to need six weeks if your work is very physical. It needs rest to heal properly. Good luck with your recovery.

Diane

• Posted

Are you going to have surgery? I'd say you'll have to be NWB for 6-8 weeks, recovery is slow after that for some people like me. I was in the boot and couldn't but weight on it for 3 months.

Please follow the Dr orders! Putting weight on it could make it much much worse than it already is. Good luck to you!

• Posted

First, so sorry to hear about your injury. Do you need surgery? Are you still in the hospital?

I'm only 2 1/2 weeks into my recovery.

Saw the doctor yesterday. He said if you break the tibia, weight bearing is almost immediate. But the fibula, that takes much longer. If you're on it too soon it can do long term damage.

I broke both so I'm down for several months.

Hopefully you can get some good info from your doc as to the right plan of healing for you.

I'm sorry work isn't supportive. This injury takes time and is very painful.

Hang in there. Lots of support here.

I wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.