Broken fibula

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi it’s me Jessie again must be getting sick of all the questions I ask I’m sorry but it’s my first broken bone and the advice and the people talking to me helps me a lot!!

I’m about 8 weeks out from a broken fibula I had to have the external fixation and then a week later I had to get plates and screws! 

I went to the doctor last week for X-rays and there is still a slight crack in my fibula it’s almost healed tho you can barely see it!!! But I’m to the point where I see stories on how fast people heal and are already walking I’m scared because there’s a slight crack it’s going to be a nonunion but that’s just because of all the stuff I read probably just scaring myself has anyone else ever took a little longer to heal is this normal?!

Now only a few more questions!!! I was told I could do little exercises to help get the rom in the ankle any advice on some good ones? Also I notice where my bone popped outta my skin it still hurts a little and is still numb has anyone ever had this issue I was told it was normal! And last but not least will I ever regain full strength in my ankle again like moving it side to side like I used to before it was broken because this is definitely horrible I cant stand being reliant on everyone else! sad 

Thanks for the advice everyone it truly helps!!!! 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jessie! I also broke my tibia and fibula with a compound spiral fracture. My bone also came out of my leg. My accident was January 21, 2017. My leg is still broken I'm scheduled for another surgery September 25th hopefully this will be the last one! Where my bone came out is still really tender and numb in some places. Can you move your toes?

• Posted

Moving your toes is a good thing I personally couldn't move mine after my 1st surgery, but after the 2nd surgery I could move them. I still have nonunion of my bone. I'm not a dr or physical therapist but I was told to move my ankle around in small circles and to try wiggling my toes to help my ROM.

• Posted

That's good feedback what you told her that's what I heard too!! And that's what I did!!!!! It did hurt a lot the first time!!! It was throbbing and burning!!!! I almost cried that's how painful it was!!!

• Posted

Oh no nonunion!!thats what I’m worried about how does that even happen the bone just doesn’t heal!? So you have t been able to walk all this time sad I’m sorry!!!!
    • Posted

Sorry for my delay In answering you back. Yes I've been walking with a Walker or crutches what makes it really hard on my end is I also had a broken hip,femur, and pelvis on the right side. The left side was my tibia and fibula. I was hit by a truck walking.

• Posted

Hey Yeah it's normal!! It's fixing to be 12 weeks for me!! I got two plates in 18 screws. Had 2 casts and now I'm in my airboot now!! This is my first broken ankle also!! That bone will heal. Just start taking some calcium pills that will help your crack. Just take it easy on it just listen what the doctor tells you it's going to still hurt when he tells you to put weight on your foot!! I've been Googling it about physical therapy at home. And that therapy helps your ligaments joints. And my doctor told me not to put any weight on it cuz he don't want to mess up my ankle again the plates will move around!! I go to my doctor this Monday I'll be start my physical therapy and I do got to work out room I can go to so I'll be doing the treadmill StairMaster make weights!! Just stay strong and don't be scared just watch where you walking. You take care!!

• Posted

He told me not to put any weight on it I been trying not to but I been putting very little here and there on accident I guess you can say just to experiment lol he didn’t put any hard cast on me he did a splint and airboot right away he said it’s alot better then a cast I mean I’ve never heard of that but he makes the big bucks so he must know what he’s doing!
    • Posted

Yeah like I said just listen to what your doctor tells you to do yeah I do the same thing he told me not to put a weight on it but I do slightly here and there about your body should know. Just take it easy alright just don't over do it just Google the physical therapy I was telling you about there's one I do everyday you put your foot on the bed and we need big toe write out the alphabet do it three times that will help your joints and you ligaments I told my my orthopedic surgeon that he said I was all right to do it and there's other ways can work two joints and ligaments without putting weight on it I'll be alright don't worry about nothing!!

• Posted

Don't worry about nothing everything will be alright!!! You got pain meds take them!!! Just do your physical therapy what I was telling you about on your foot just don't put no weight on it!!! On your tendons and your ligaments get them all loosen up!!

• Posted

Jessieroseanne, totally know what you are going through! I had a million questions too. I am just getting over that hump where I am getting movement back and started some walking with assistance. So, you will get there even though it feels like you won't. I broke my fibula and dislocated my ankle, surgery with plates and screwes. Will you be seeing a Physical Therapist? I would recommend you askedto be referred if you are not. Initially Physical Therapy had me doing this 1) bend my big toe towards me 15 secs 4 times. 2) In a seated position both feet flat on the floor. Raise your toes from your heels then raise your heels from you toes, 10 times each. 3) Put a rag/towel on the floor, smooth serface preferably and scrunch up that material with you toes, like you are trying to crinkle it up then release for 1 min. 4) Get a long towel or belt pit it around the bottom of you injured foot betweennthe arch and toes and pull back. Knee and leg extended to get a nice stretch in your calf 4 times for 15 secs 4 times. Hope this help you. Keep in mind to always consult with your doc as not everyone's injuries and recommendations are the exactly the same. Any questions, just ask. I found this forum super helpful and encouraging too. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Andrea

• Posted

Hi Jessie,

you our are the first person I have come across that has had the external fixator AND the ORIF surgery. To, hopefully, make you feel a bit better I do think our healing is a bit delayed do to the trauma to the ankle from the External Fixator. It is a very positive thing that have healed some. People say 6 weeks for a bone, but that is actually the minimum time. Up to 12 weeks is not unusual. Keep the faith!!

I am all healed in the ankle bones...broke them all and dislocated...but now I think I have Venous Reflux. When I put my foot down it turns a horrid red/purple color that spreads all the way up to me knee. I am close to five months. It's impossible to walk much do to the pain of all the blood pooling in the foot, even though the swelling is minimal. 

I wish ash you all the luck to keep healing and to soon put this all behind you!

• Posted

Omg so you can’t walk still or you are walking you just can’t do it long! Because I’m hoping to be back to work soon but mine still has a purplish color too!!!! I had my second surgery July 6 so I’m not even close to 5 months yet sad and I only broke my fibula...
  • Posted

Wow! I read back my reply to you and I have no idea how weird extra words got in there, and how I missed actual letters in words! Proof reading is a good thing lol.

What I meant to say was that because your bone HAS healed some, it just needs a little extra time to finish the job. And at 8 weeks it is very normal for you to have the red color. You are still very on track for healing! I just think the external fixator makes us take longer. We are recovering from more than one surgery in the space of a week and a lot of trauma!

I am seeing a vascular doctor on Monday. When my foot is up it looks perfect, and I have almost full range of motion in the ankle. It's just when I put it down that it becomes horrid looking and gets very tight and throbby, making it extremely uncomfortable to continue physical therapy. My leg is still very stiff and not used to full weight. All in all this has been a nightmare I would not wish on anyone. But I think I am definitely not the normal. Most people will not have this red foot at four and a half months in. 

I thnk ink you are doing just fine!

• Posted

Poor thing!!!! 

If I could attach my X-rays to show you I would!! But I’m trying to stay as positive as possible thru all this and trying to be as determined as possible to walk as soon as possible all depending on how this bone wants to heal!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.