Broken fibula and recovery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, about 3 weeks ago I broke my fibula and have been wearing a cast, no Surgery was required.  While there’s no pain as such, I’m not sure if I can feel the 2 pieces of bone moving sometimes when I move my leg, or could it be something else, tissue etc? I’m not back at the hospital for another 2 weeks. Can anyone who has suffered a break like mine without Surgery advise of their recovery experiences. I’m NWB for 6 weeks but have a trip to New York booked in November and wonder if I’ll be able to still go? The doctors haven’t said no but realistically at 10 weeks post break what will my motion range be like, I’m guessing I won’t be back to as I was before the break by then? Any advice greatly appreciated. A x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Not sure I understand what you are feeling. I broke my ankle -  no sugery - and was in a cast for 6 weeks. I don't recall feeling any thing  move inside the cast really. I had the odd pain, weird sensation, but they were usually short-lived. If you are worried, give your doctor a call.

As far as a trip is  concerned we all  heal differently. I think the younger you are, the faster you heal is the general rule. I have also read that fractures typically take 8 to 12 weeks to heal. Not sure how much walking you will be able or want  to do while in NY but just make sure to give yourself time to rest,  ice and elevate and hopefully you will be fine.

I am in week 7 and hope to be walking within the next 3 weeks. I plan to take a short trip to Vancouver in November and even though it will be 3 months by then,  I am figuring I will still need a cane and lots of ice time, given my advamced age.

• Posted

Thanks, I’m feeling all sorts of weird sensations and hope it’s just my mind playing tricks on me. Every one I’m wondering is it pieces of bone, but then I assume if it was I’d know about it pain wise and I’m not in much pain at all, just discomfort now and again. Good luck with your recovery, I personally can’t wait for this ordeal to end. I feel like my wings have been well and truly clipped :-( x
    • Posted

Well I certainly had some weird sensations while in the cast and sometimes it was a tad painful and a tad uncomfortable.  It is very frustrating and upsetting to lose your independence but it does get better. Patience is truly Needed!,
  • Posted

Hi Angie

Tendons or ligaments may have gotten pulled or torn so that may be what you feel.  I am 12 weeks postop from a trimalleor fracture plate and three screws and I am very close to walking almost normally so I think you should be good.try to stay positive and if you do PT do the exercises every day Epsom salt soaks every day and ice and elevate as much as possible best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.