Broken fibula and tibia 10 weeks ago, dr says I can start walking but it hurts too bad

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was in a accident 3 months ago, I broke my fibula, tibia and collarbone. I had 3 surgeries in less than a week. 3 plates plus numerous screws in all 3 areas. I went back to my surgeon last week ( it's been 10 weeks non weight bearing) He told me I can start PT and start walking.

As soon as I got home I tried to walk and my foot hurts so bad, it's like it's been broken too! Help! I'm so depressed, I'm 58, I'm scared I'll not be able to walk again or walk right so I can do my job. I am scared.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi I broke my tibia fibula and talus 11 weeks ago I started weight bearing 2 weeks ago I did a little often but only 20% weight bearing and gradually built it up in still in cast but am 100% weight bearing now ! don't put to much pressure on yourself and take it each day at a time !! your leg will let you no how much you can do

• Posted

I think you are misunderstanding your surgeon, he didn't mean walk on it I'm sure but to start gradual weight bearing, the bone will not be fully healed at 10 weeks, when are you having x-ray to check the stage you are at, have you a boot

• Posted

I asked about a boot, I was actually hoping to get one, he said I didn't need it, to start my PT

I'm just scared I guess..

Afraid I wont be able to walk again

• Posted

We call them “tib/fib” fractures, and they really are no joke. I would like to think the doc has done follow up X-rays to confirm healing, I’m sure you know the answer to this. If he says you can start with PT, do it. And weight bear as tolerated. Build it up. There very well may be some pain to start. The pain could even be from ligaments and tendons that are just tight from being immobilized for 10 weeks. Go very easy. Some things that can make recovery longer are drinking, smoking, diabetes, and non-compliance with docs orders.l, so bear that in mind. I am not a doctor, but I work in the field, these are all just possibilities and suggestion. Obviously the doc would be best to talk to. 
    • Posted

I am a diabetic, but I don't drink and my husband and I both quit smoking last November . I start my PT the day after tomorrow, thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. I know I'm scared and that's probably a lot to do with it.

• Posted

What did they give you to help you transition into walking??  I had a rolling walker that I leaned on quite a lot at first.  I barely put an weight on my broken foot and more like hopped on my good foot to move forward.  Each week I added more weight on my broken foot until at week 4 or 5 I was able to walk with the walker in front of me but just for safety if I had to grab it.  My x ray was good and that let me use the rolling walker rather than what they said was the normal transition into a weight bearing walking cast.  BTW I was in my late 60's.  Call your doctors office and tell them what's happening.  They are there to help you and have had this happen in the past with other patients.  Use your voice.  Good luck 

• Posted

I started my rehab but my range of motion is so bad she said forget about walking right now, have to get my ankle and knee moving 1st. I'm really afraid, I have to work. Im not old enough to retire yet. I. Afraid I wont be able to go back to my job and I don't know what I will do

• Posted

Good that you are in rehab for range of motion.  Be sure to do all of your at home exercises that the therapist told you to do.  I know I did all of mine twice a day.  It is frightening to be injured and worried about your job.  You will get through all of this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.