Broken fibula and tibia

Posted , 7 users are following.

Broke fibula and tibia Feb 17, 2016. Had surgery March 1, and had 2 screws put a n fibula and a plate on tibia. After 8 weeks in cast and NWB I am now in a boot. I am doing exercises for therapy but after walking on it for about an hour leg hurts and ankle and foot swell. Also get sharp twinges now and then in ankle area. Has anyone else had these problems and how long before you can put full weight on it and be able to work. I'm a waitress and have to be on my feet for 4 hours or longer without sitting.

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Mimi

Have you tried : - 

1. KT TAPE to support or ankle: There are good YouTube instructions as to how to apply

2. Compression Tube bandage doubled up from foot to knee to suppress swelling

3. Hourly Ice Packs

4. Elevation 

RICE

Rest

Ice

Compression 

Elevation

• Posted

I haven't tried some of those due to the last 3 weeks I have been in a boot. But I do take it off and elevate when it begins hurting or swelling. Thank You for the advice 🙂
    • Posted

You can elevate in the boot. I lay on sofa and put leg up at 90deg boot on or off for quick relief from swelling. 5-15 mins.
    • Posted

I was in a boot 24/7 for seven weeks and kept it elevated for the whole period 
    • Posted

I am also in a boot Cast was off 3 weeks ago and was given boot until next appointment on May 31st. I wear the boot except to shower or at night while sleeping. Foot and ankle seem to swell when I'm on it for awhile. I am on it to do dishes or cook or light housework but after 1/2 hour or so it starts hurting and starts to swell so back to elevating. 🙂
    • Posted

Yes.  When I was in the boot, the minute I stood up, my foot would swell and felt incredibly uncomfortable.  Are you at a stage that you are doing any light exercises yet.  The idea is that the pumping action only comes back when we start to use all the leg muscles. 
    • Posted

The gives a sense of security. I wore mine 24/7 for a bit, then I forgot to wear it to bed one night and gradually weaned myself off. DrS and Physio pushed me earlier but I was too scared.

Where I live, a Physio comes to our house to see me once a week to check broken leg and go through my movement range . he also gives me new exercises aimed at increasing blood flow and mobility. Its a slow process but I'm doing it as my bone either side of the healing break is extremely soft. No good.

Walker my saving grace. I kept falling off my crutches. Even at the Drs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.