Broken fibula, burning sensation when standing

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi - After sleeping or having my leg elevated for long periods of time when I put my foot down there is a buring sensation at the injury point for about a minute or so.  Pain is dependent on how long the leg has been raised.  The mornings are the worst.  The pain level has risen the last few days.

The break happened riding a waverunner.  I have seen numerous comments on similair pain, but no comment on what it is.  To me appears to be the blood flowing into the leg, but don't get  the pain part.  I go get a boot next Wedensday.

Thanks, 

Gil

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I don't know what it is but I had all manner of odd burning, stinging and  stabbing pains etc. when I broke my fibula earlier this year. It could be that you also have ligament and nerve damge which would account for some of the pain. I suggest that you ask your consultant when you next see him for an explanation.

• Posted

Thanks for the comment, yes that is what I will be doing.  I guess your body goes through various transaformations as it seeks to heal.  Being 55 and never having broke a bone, and being immobile will be quite challenging!
    • Posted

Yes. This is all totally normal. I had it and it went away after several months of PT. I bet it's not nerve damage as everyone seems to get it. It's the fireworks of the tendons and ligaments elongating again after shrinking from non-use I think.

• Posted

I had a bostrom repair 5weeks ago and i still get this sensation after I've had I'm leg evelvated. I put it down to the fact I had it elevated the blood flow may have been reduced and the sensation was the blood flowing back to it? I definitely have a damaged nerve so out it down to a combination of both these things. ??

• Posted

Agree, that is what I have attributed it to as well.  I am going for an appt tomorrow and will be sure to ask, and let you know what he says.  Certainly a weird feeling!

Thanks,

• Posted

Spoke with the Dr and mentioned the buring sensation.  He said that it's normal, essentially the blood going back into the veins/arteries.  Also said that during the healing process, and as the swelling goes down,  I may experience different sensations throughout the foot.  I have found that to be true.

Appears to be the body just healing itself.  I have noticied thatt he pain decreases as the swelling goes down.

• Posted

Totally agree! It is like fireworks inside your body. I used to think of each one as a firing up the engine, and started to like them when I looked at them that way. I also had a weird thing while healing, that I have yet to read about. Sometimes when I took a deep breath, I could feel a very slight shooting pain down my leg to my ankle. It was weird and only lasted a few weeks. 
  • Posted

Today makes a week since I tore 2 ligaments and broke a bone in my ankle. Today has been the worst! My ankle feels like it is on fire! And the entire leg is hurting. I don't understand the burning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.