Broken Fifth Metatarsal still hurts. I broke it 8/19/19.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I broke my 5th Metatarsal, 8/19/19. I didn't need surgery, Ortho looked at x-ray taken in hospital. He put it in 2 different casts, due to swelling, and only took an additional x-ray, at halfway point, not afterwards. Hardly had me do any PT. Told me it would take time. Still hurts, correct shoes. Went to another Ortho 6/21, MRi, & inflamation. I was to start PT, but fell down steps, & sprained that ankle, a 1st degree sprain, giving a boot, and the metarsal is killing me along with the ankle, plus going up the leg to the buttockd, 5 wks later. i see ortho on 8/18/21. Will this ever heal, throbs constantly. It's like the boot is making the whole foot and leg constantly throb. Any help out ther!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

ask your doctor if you can take the boot off and ice the ankle. its the swelling that hurts so severely. sorry about the the toe and falling. OMG.

i fell down one step and broke one ankle and sprained the other. the boot hurt worse than the injury. so I asked to take it off the ankle and just stayed off both my feet and iced them. i was give pain meds and ankle wrap to manage the pain.

Also used a small wheel chair until both ankles healed. maybe you could heal better and look into renting a small wheelchair not the full sized one, or a knee rest to put your knee on and has wheels and a handle to steer so you have no weight on the toe/ankle. lots of ice keeps the swelling down.

sending healing vibes your way.

• Posted

are you on crutches in the boot? i know they told me not to walk on my boot or cast that did help me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.