Broken foot or just bad sprain?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I recently tripped off a curb and my foot bent underneath me and I heard/felt a large pop for about 5 second the whole foot was numb and once I could feel it again i couldn't walk at all. I still managed to hobble to work and do a full shift (mostly sat down at desk) when I got home and took my boot off the swelling kicked in and since then it has not stopped swelling. It's day 3 now and even though it's hard to walk I can still manage at a very slow and painful pace. Some people have recommended me going to hospital but I just don't have the time to be wasting time if there is nothing wrong. Also some people say it is just a bad sprain however the swelling has moved from the side of my foot all the way around my ankle and the top of my foot, also it pulses a lot whenever I'm not moving it. Could anybody recommend whether it is worth wasting time at the A&E department or whether there is something I can do to just help the swelling and pain a little?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

100% get it checked! If it is broken and you leave it you could put yourself into life long difficulties! For the sake of a few hours in A&E get it looked at! 

• Posted

I did exactly the same thing on a broken pavement. The popping noise is your ligament snapping. It will take as good few weeks to recover so lots of rest and elevation. You will need to go to see your dr if it isn't stable in a few weeks time.

• Posted

Hi

Honestly go to the A and E and have an x-ray because you are worth it.  Sometimes people can walk on fractures.  I managed to walk about 25 metres home on mine...... I had actually fractured my ankle on both sides.  I THINK YOU DO NEED TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL END OFF and get checked out.  If it is weak you could easily cause further injury by over rotating again.  Please get checked out nothing is more important than your own health.  Let me no and take care

• Posted

Check it out , and get the proper advice on how to manage what ever it is you’ve done 
  • Posted

Oh no...... I can't give that advise and maybe you should get it looked at.

• Posted

Your health is only need for you not for others! Just give up all your work and go to hospital to check. Do MRI or CT scan because Xray is cheap but not effective to show ligaments and bones totally. I also fractured my talus bone couldn't walk at that time. My ankle swelled and a lot of pain. No surgery but I have been wearing a plaster cast for 10 weeks after another 2 weeks I remove cast and do CT scan again. 

Be careful and save yourself because only you build your healthy life.

• Posted

Nicole,

You have some of the symptoms of a broken ankle plus a sprain. Often, it is impossible to bear weight on a broken ankle (not always though). The fact that you are able to walk on it is both positive and yet concerning. I'd recommend seeing your health care practitioner (not a hospital or A&E) to rule out fractures with x-rays.

In any event, you suffered a severe sprain and yet (unknowingly) you did not treat it properly with the standard of care, which is PRICE protocol (look it up). You should have been weightless on ankle in a CAM boot until pain and swelling are manageable.

I couldn't guess what additional damage might have been caused by your decision to bear it and carry on with normal activities but it is not too late for a happy outcome if you get immediate treatment.

Untreated and continually molested, ankles with severe injuries sometimes lead to chronic ankle instability and impaired mobility, and in some cases ankle arthritis later on.

I urge you to take this seriously.

• Posted

Definitely go to A&E. I broke my ankle last weekend. Heard the pop, had the swelling. Like you I didn't want to waste time going to hospital for no reason. Was persuaded to go and bingo - fractured fibula and now in a cast. Should have gone earlier...Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Kate

Sorry to hear that! I broke mine 8 weeks ago in 2 places.  I am glad you have got the care you need... and wish you well in the recovery.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.