Broken Growth Plate. Do I Need Surgery??

Posted , 3 users are following.

6 Months ago I broke my right ankle growth plate. I was in a cast for 3 months and a boot for 1 month and it's been 2 months without the boot and I am still in severe pain. The Doctor and PT have already said I should be running again 1 month ago, but I cannot even walk properly. Someone help, do I need surgery? What should I do?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

did you have x-ray or scan after the boot came off?

times can be different, i'm also slow and still can't walk

• Posted

Yes, the whole process I have been x-rayed 6-7 times

2 times after boot came off

• Posted

and do they know the cause of pains?

in my case the fractures are still visible but cartilage is ok, i must wear a brace.

pain can be caused by cartilage (arthritis) or other soft tissues, often are the ligaments, they can recover a bit with exercise. surgical fixation of ligaments can take long time.

• Posted

I had foot surgery for my ankle, had arthritis in it. Now have 3 screws, 2 plates in it. I can walk on it, but my ankle is very very sore. I can go up and down stairs, but at times it hurts alot. Surgery was april 7. I went to the dr last week, and have decided I have to have  a cortisone shot in my ankle. I can hardly walk on it. It does take time. When i go back to my dr, i always have x rays of my foot so we can make sure everything is healing correctly.  hope your doing well. 
  • Posted

Hi dakman. It never hurts to get a fresh set of eyes to take a look at it. I would research it on the Internet and try to find a dr who specializes in these type of injuries. Best of luck. I had a TAR on my left ankle September 14th and it took me a couple years before I found a surgeon I felt confident with. Like I said a fresh set of eyes never hurts.
  • Posted

The doctor said if I cannot run in 2 weeks I'm going to get an MRI to see what's up or if I need surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.