broken heart

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I'm a medical student, I'm from Mexico and I'm studying at the University of the Valley of Mexico, it's only my first year. I would like to know about the broken heart to do my homework.

- Does the broken heart exist?

If the problem exists, how does it work and what kind of people commonly affect it?

i wil appreciate your response, thank you very much

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ricardo!

I have other heart issues, but not broken heart syndrome.

You may get responses here, but if you don't Facebook has alot of groups that focus on a variety of heart problems.

If you haven't already you may want to check them out.

Good luck!

Kathy

• Posted

I’m neither a medical student nor a nurse, but in my 80 or so years I have known personally of elderly partners in long marriages (40-50 years or more) who have died within a day or two of each other, usually, in the case of the second death, without previous signs of illness, and those deaths have been referred to as "broken heart” deaths.  The cause of death is frequently a stroke or heart attack.Don’t know if this helps.  Could just be coincidence.

• Posted

I have heard of the broken heart deaths My great grandmother had Alzheimer's and died in her late 90s my great grandfather died a couple weeks after from what I'm told. My sister in-laws mother died in July of 2017 and her father August of 2018 so just over a year apart. They were both in their mid 60s.

• Posted

I've heard of patients dying from "broken heart sydrome", which in medical terms is referred to as Takatsubo's cardiomyopathy.  In imaging studies the heart actually takes on the shape of an octopus pot, which is filled with

bait to catch octopus.  Men and women can be afflicted with this condition, but more women than men are afflicted when someone very close to them ( it can even be a child, sibling) dies.  If it is identified soon enough they can recover from this.  Good luck with your career.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.