Broken humerus- it's not so funny

Posted , 1 user is following.

sad

i fell backwards onto my right arm 2 weeks ago ice skating resulting in a mid shaft (thankfully clean ) fracture.

i know it's going to take some time to heal but I wanted to reach out and ask advise of anyone else whose had this injury

Sleep:  I don't think I'm sleeping more than a couple of hours at a time - I cannot get comfortable and as I fell on ice I think I also have bruising to my coccyx which makes sitting uncomfortable.

cast seems to move and I am getting more of an aching than pain sensation. Is this normal ? This is my first even limb break . 

dressing - I hate having to wear clothes over the cast but it's impossible to get a sleeveless top on over my cast unaided.

I'm finding the whole situation quite depressing especially being unable to shower!!- I'm used to being so independent and in control and find it hard relying in others. 

If if anyone has any survival tips to make life more bareable I would be most grateful.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It's all normal.  KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!!  YOU WILL MAKE IT THROUGH!!

• Posted

How about a shower head that you can move (like a massage shower head)?  Investigate what you can.  HANG IN THERE.  You will get better!! 

• Posted

There are quite a few waterproof covers that can help with showering. I had a Limbo for my broken wrist and it worked well though I did need a bit of help getting it on and off at first.
  • Posted

Lack of sleep is unfortunately normal. Catnap as much as you can throughout the day. Try to get some fresh air daily. Stand in the doorway, walk to the mailbox, call people on the phone to chat, see if a nonworking neighbor, friend, family member will take you for quick errands. Simple things to keep your spirits up. If no one is available call a taxi to get out of the house. Keep things simple for now. Rest rest rest. Make sure you are eating and drinking at least 8glasses of water daily. You can do this. You will make it! You aren't alone there many of us going through this or similar to what you are experiencing. Chin up. You will get through this! God bless!

• Posted

Thanks for your positive posts henpen1980 x I have a separate shower head attachment on my bath so I could get help to use this. I have hospital appointment this week - I'm really hoping for good news that the break is healing as the expect otherwise the consultant is talking about plating the break. I'm hoping to avoid this .

I've been trying to get out for a walk around the block each day but it's so much less than I'm used to - I have 1/2 hour walk to work from station to work next day. I'm finding the lack independence fruStrating :-(.

• Posted

We all go high and low.  Push through it.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel!!  I could not walk more than 2 tenths of a mile after my surgery.  Yesterday I made it around the 1.5 mile route but I did not have my sling.  It was tough but I made it.  First time in seven weeks.  Today I was smart and used the sling.  It was much better with the sling.  It is supposed to snow Monday.  I will not go out in the poor weather.  Not willing to risk a fall.  You will be okay.  You will make it through.  Weep when you must, gather your wits, then plan for tomorrow.  You can do it!
    • Posted

ps try to elevate the cast as much as positive when you are sitting or lying down.  That will help with the swelling inside the cast.  Prop up on pillows the back of chairs or the couch back.  You will make it!
    • Posted

Did you have your break plated and pinned then ? Was it done at time of your break or later?

Glad to hear you're getting more mobile and I hope you don't get to much snow! You definitely don't want to be chancing a fall!

I saw some pictures of new York today on the news here in the UK - it looks quite bad !

Stay safe x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.