Broken humerus on elbow. Had surgery. Can’t straighten arm. Stuck at 90 degrees.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, i'm wondering if anyone can kindly help me please..

I broke my right arm in 2 places during an incident. 1 break was on my forearm which I was told this will heal on its own but I still get pain now and I can still feel some sort of ‘clicking’ movement. The 2nd break was on my humerus on my elbow of which I had surgery which entailed me having 1 plate and 2 screws. As soon as I broke my arm I’d attended A&E of which they admitted me straight to a ward after x-rays etc. Kept me in over night fasting me ready for my operation. Operation was cancelled 3 separate times over the course of 24 hours and then I was sent home with just a sling and was given a date for my operation 9 days later of which I woke up towards the end of my operation and I could hear them banging and my body was shunting but my arm had a ‘blocker’ to numb any feelings. I made everyone aware by shouting, “im awake, I’m awake!” Then I could feel a liquid running inside my left arm where they injected me and next thing I woke up on the ward. I was sent home 2 hours later with no feeling whatsoever in my arm. Then the fun part started. So I attended every physio session and doing my own excersises at home too. Was only in a sling and no other support. Long story short, now I’m 9 months on, my physio stopped 5 months ago because I was told there’s no progress and I can only straighten my arm to 90 degrees. This has a HUGE impact on my life as I am self employed. Every day I’m learning that there’s certain things I cannot do anymore. I still get pain. I cannot enjoy or even participate in certain hobbies. And being self employed it’s a struggle to take any time off work as I’ll have no income.

Thank you,

S

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi Sam.....

1st....let me say, how Friggin' Scary to have awakened during surgery!!!! That's always been a Huge fear of mine.

about 8yrs ago, I fractured my elbow and had to have pretty much the same hardware put in as you. they said it was one of the worst shatterings they'd seen!

to this day, I still have pain up and down that arm. about 3yrs ago, they actually removed some of the metal as it was causing all kinds of problems for me.

I'm pretty much able to fully straighten my arm, but it almost always bothers me.

I've just learned to deal with it.

wishing you the best of luck!

• Posted

OMG You have gone through the wars haven't you

I agree with Lynda about wakening up during surgery!!! Obviously they didnt use a strong enough sedative to put you out for a long time for them to do the opeation without you wakening up

A few months ago I fell off my favourite horse who was 17.2 hands high which is very tall ( which was all my fault) & broke my pelvis. ( bravely I got back on because as an experienced equestrian wasn't prepared. to lose my confidence after riding for 40 years with many a fall off but luckily no other bone breaks

When i got home I was on my knees because i couldnt stand or walk & confined to bed for 2 weeks Like you I was in agony & work wasnt an issue due to long term unemployment..

I had physio for ages & walked with a crutch for ages. I was encouraged by the DWP to put in for extra universal credit. So putting a stack.of evidence to them for my application & they refused it

Im back in the saddle now very slowly & taking it easy

Wishing you a much needed recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.