Broken left ankle minimally displaced despair

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I fell and broke my left ankle on August 9th. To be exact I have a minimally displaced oblique fracture of the distal end of the fibula. I saw an order on August 9th. The displacement of the bone fracture was very minimal and he put me in a hard cast for 2 weeks. I went back to the ortho yesterday August 24th the bone had moved a little bit more so now it's about two millimeters displaced. He told me I'm in a grey area I could either have surgery and have a plate and screws put in or I could continue to let the bone heal and it will be ever so slightly crooked. I'm not an athlete and I'm middle-aged so he thought if I had a little bit crooked but it wouldn't give me much problem going forward in life. Maybe some arthritis later in life. He moved me to a boot, but I'm still non-weight bearing for 3 more weeks. At that time he wants to do another x-ray to make sure that the bone hasn't moved anymore. If it has that I could be facing surgery. So my Despair and dilemma is should I just go ahead and have the surgery or should I let the bone continue to try to heal and let it be slightly crooked. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have an appointment tomorrow with a second orthopedic surgeon as I want to get a second opinion to make the best possible decision for myself. I just want to walk again and I feel so much to despair right now that I will never walk again. I know it's irrational, but I don't quite see an end in sight.

0 likes, 13 replies

Report

13 Replies

  • Posted

    If you go ahead and have the surgery,  despite whatever the surgeon tells you in the future, under no circumstances let them take the plates/screws out... 

    I did this and now had 2 further surgeries, and another one upcoming... 

    This has been going on since 2011, and 5 years of pain and problems is no joke!

    Good luck with everything,  I hope it works out well!biggrin

    Report
    • Posted

      Just curious, why not have the plates screws removed?

      (I don't have either - I was just curious.)

      Report
    • Posted

      I have a calcium deficiency and the surgeon said that they have not calcified and now served no purpose.... So he suggested that he removed them... 

      Following this surgery I lost the feeling down the inside of my ankle to my big toe, due to damage to the nerve,  and the ligament on the outside of my foot below the plate snapped, and required reconnection surgery... Since the hardwear has been removed, I can not wear regular shoes, and when it is hot, I can not wear anything other than flip flops, due to swelling.   

      I now suffer with collapse of the joint without warning, and am currently waiting ankle fusion...

      Sure it is not all due to the hardwear removal, but in my opinion, most of the issues have occured since the removal.

      Report
    • Posted

      Thanks Chris! I hope the same for you although it seems like you've been dealing with for a long time. Best to you!

      Report
  • Posted

    Hi, I am happy you are going for a second opinion. You have made a wise decision. If the bone has moved since you broke it it may move even more, then you will have to get the surgery done and start the recovery process from scratch. I broke my tibia and fibula in February, but could only have surgery in March due to swelling, nearly three weeks after I broke my ankle. I could sometime feel the bones move before I had surgery, and had a lot of pain. The surgeon actually told me that he had to file some of the bone away that had started to heal as it was crooked and would cause a lot of problems. I was in a cast for nine weeks nwb 3 before surgery and 6 after. I also thought I would never walk again, but I now am doing well. I am able to do 95% of what I could before I broke my ankle. This is a very trying time emotionally and physically, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Keep your mind busy with things you enjoy, reading, movies and hobbies. Get friends and family around for support. Rest is also important. Keep the leg elevated to help reduce swelling. Remain positive and determined and if the surgeon recommends surgery, don't delay, get it done asap. Delaying surgery is delaying recovery. Please let us know what the surgeon says tomorrow. Good luck everything will work out for the best.

    Report
    • Posted

      Lots of good advice here Daphne. I've come hope with a list of questions for the doctor tomorrow. Yesterday I think I was so shellshocked and upset that I couldn't even think what to ask. I'm hoping a second opinion will give me a clear picture of what to do. Because I want to only promote the healing and moving forward. I don't want to delay my recovery. Right now I'm in a boot until September 14 and then this other doctor wants me to come back in for another X-ray and if it is moved more that point I will need surgery but then I'll already be five weeks into this. So if I get the surgery now I can be done with it. But I want to wait and see what this other doctor says as well. Will keep you posted tomorrow .

      Report
    • Posted

      It went really good! No surgery needed! And he said coming from a surgeon that's a big deal. I got lucky with the way the fracture was. Still non weight bearing for a few more weeks while it continues to heal but feeling much better mentally about it. Thank you for the follow up. Appreciate your concern and wish you the very best in your recovery.

      Report
  • Posted

    You should get a second opinion. I would opt for the surgery. Too much of a chance it won't heal properly or not at all.

    Report
  • Posted

    Hi everyone! I did go see a second ortho surgeon and I just loved this doctor. He came in and said this was a no brainer ~ no surgery needed!!! Elation! Said to continue non-weight bearing for a little bit more. Saud i was very lucky the way it fractured. I am transferring my care to him not because I don't require surgery but because I liked his demeanor, his approach, and the way he took time to explain things to me and to actually even show me the X-ray! So I go back on Friday Sept 2 and will start to discuss when I can start putting a little weight back in the foot. I'll be 3 1/2 weeks in by Sept 2. I'll check in with you all again on 9/2 to let you know how appt and 3rd set of X-rays goes. Thanks for your responses and concern - means a lot to someone who is laid up feeling like they are the only person in world going through this. I wish you all speedy, pain free and full recoveries.

    Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up