Broken leg

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I've now been in plaster for 2 weeks have another 4 weeks to go non weight bearing then meant to go to a boot. I have 2 plates 14 screws in my left leg broke my tibia fibia and fractured my ankle so the tendons exploded so to speak I have a large screw in my leg holding them all together.

I work in Distribution they said return to work after 8 weeks light duties but my question is I'm young and healthy when am I looking at full duties and more importantly how long do you wear this boot for. Doctors seem to be a waste of space and I'm getting so frustrated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It all depends on how you heal. at 2 weeks its still very early days and nobody can give you a hard and fast decision on when you will be fit enough for 'full duties'. I'm guessing you will have physiotherapy once you have 'the boot'. After such a vast trauma you have to be patient.   
    • Posted

I know I should be patient but just feels like forever and I really miss work.

And no I didn't have a bang on the head. 😊

• Posted

Hi Sarah. I broke my tibia & fibula & bone in ankle 5 weeks ago. I had a rod put through my tibia and screws in my ankle. I was released from hospital a week later with only a bandage on my leg as dns needed to take the staples out 12 days post op. All I have on my legs are Ted stockings. No weightbearing for 6 weeks. I'm waiting for my follow up appointment which the hospital hadn't got on the appointments list. I really don't know how long it takes to get back on your feet. I work in a care home and have a very responsible job, so I'm on my feet a lot. I quite a strong person but I am a little dubious about weight-bearing. When you've always been busy and always on the go it makes you feel debilitated. I hope you have a speedy recovery as you have youth on your side. I'm 54 but got to think positive. I have found these forums helpful. Take care.
  • Posted

I find it hard to understand the treatment for a break in the lower leg and a break in the upper leg.  I am a 70 year old female and two years ago I slipped in the garden and broke my femur in half.   I had an operation the next day when a nail and screws were put in and the day after that they got me out of bed and said to be weight-bearing from the beginning.  It was very painful for a few weeks but I had to  walk with the aid of two sticks for a while.  Seven months later I was told that the bone was completely healed but just over a year after the break I had to have the screws taken out at the top and bottom as they were causing me problems, pain, grating and the tendon flicking over the ends.  The rod is still in place as the bone had started to grow over it but the operation completely cleared up any trouble I had with the screws.   I never had physiotherapy at any time yet I read of people having to do exercises etc. for months after they have broken their lower leg.  I can't believe I am saying this but I am extremely glad that if I had to break my leg again I would always want it to be my femur and not the lower legs as there appears to be so much more imobility and metalwork involved in a lower break.
    • Posted

Sorry, forgot to say that I was told by the consultant that putting weight on the broken bone makes it heal quicker.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.