Broken metatarsal healing time?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm wondering how long it takes to heal a broken fifth metatarsal bone and when it's ok to take the walking boot off?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What did your doctor say your recovery time would be?

• Posted

Hi Sandra, I went to the hospital the night I broke my foot and put a boot on it. I followed up with a foot doctor three weeks later. She took an x-ray and said I should wear the boot for six additional weeks and return for a follow up; that would be a total of nine weeks. I was thinking, what about the first three weeks since from what I read it takes between six to eight weeks for a bone to heal? I spoke to a hairdresser who was about my age, in her late fifties, and she said she took the boot off after six weeks and returned to work. Also, I read it is not good to leave the boot on too long; this is where the confusion comes in? I have a nondisplaced break which means the broken bone remains in place. I was looking for some feedback from others who have, or had a similar brake. Thanks for responding!

• Posted

I can only relate my experience which was a broken ankle which resulted in surgery and screws in my ankle

cast for 4 weeks then boot for 3-4 weeks

At 7 weeks ankle had healed and I could begin PT and begin to bear weight

I saw orthopedic doctor

I would follow your doctors advice because you dont want to re-injure your foot

For me I followed doctors orders because I didnt want to be laid up any longer than necessary

Everyone heals differently so keep that in mind

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your input Sandra! I'm hoping this coming Tuesday's appointment will yield a positive result, and happy you are up and running! I can't wait until I can live and function normally again! God Bless you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.