Broken patella

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had surgery 8 weeks ago for a broken patella following a slip when all my body weight went down onto my knee. I was in hospital for 9 nights and now having daily physio on a Biodex Machine. Feel like I'm stiffening up and struggling to lengthen the tendon that was damaged and repaired in surgery. Feel I should be further on in treatment / progress by now. Anyone else had this surgery and any advice to get the knee bent beyond 60 degrees after 8 weeks?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I broke my knee cap about about 30 years ago. It took many physical therapy sessions to get back the range of motion but it finally happened. so sorry ❤

30 years later the same knee required a total knee replacement. You will improve/ just takes time. I AM 11 months post

the knee replacement but all is going well.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Kelly. Do you have any tips on how you increased the range of motion after broken patella surgery? I'm currently going to daily physio and using a Biodex Machine but only getting to around 50 percent bend and struggling after 8 weeks. Good luck with your recent knee replacement and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Posted

You are doing all you can do. Just keep it up and don't give up. After the major repair and PT my doctor did a second minor surgery and removed part of what he used to hold the bone together and then the ROM improved but it took a year.

I hope you improve- just don't give up- it is a slow recovery at best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.