Broken Tib/Fib w a plate and 12 screws

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, my name is Izaiah and as the title tells I broke my Tib/Fib around a 2 months ago. I had surgery on June 10th where they put 12 screws and a plate in. The doctor says I will be in a boot on the 21st which is great, but I leave for college the 24th and was wondering what is the actual chance that I can walk on my ankle and get around campus on my foot. I am posting this to hopefully get some insight on how the first week is after this type of injury and what walking is like. If it helps I have full control over my toes and can move my ankle up and down in my cast. Thank you very much for any help.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Xp6VyzEnUYkJzBf6sJ5Y1t0A

I couldnt seem to upload the xray because it says the file sizs is too big but heres a link

• Posted

Ouch. That is a familiar looking Xray. Take it s-l-o-w. Ice, ice, elevate, elevate. Eat lots of protein. I am a homebody & almost 67 y.o. Have been making slow, steady progress but am clearly much older than you dear. My plate, screws look identical to yours. My surgery was on May 23, 2019.

Take heart, take the advice, ideas of others on this site. It will serve you well.

BTW, women, gals, will probably be drawn to help you, chat with you.

Soldier on & best to you, D

• Posted

OUCH! That looks pretty intense!

That is pretty close to walking around campus with out physical therapy first. Walking in the boot is Ok, but it still is quite painful. I would get an aid if you can. A scooter to help you around.

Best of luck to you!******

• Posted

You will be okay in a boot with a knee scooter with a carrying basket in the front. I'm not going to lie, its going to hurt and swell especially in the afternoons and evenings. there is a cream you can use to help with pain.

good LUCK

• Posted

thank you all very much! This advice was really helpful and I just purchased a knee scooter to help out. Once again I just want to thank you all. Its comforting to see other people who have been through a similar experience and are recovering. Best of luck to you all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.