Broken tibia and fibula - pain after a year

Posted , 2 users are following.

I broke my tib fib in February 2017. Spiral fracture. Had a fibula surgery followed by the external fixator, then tibia surgery two weeks later. It’s been over a year and I have come back to my self defense martial arts training. In prep for my black belt, I just started running and it hurts a lot where my metal rod and screws possibly are. Is it normal to have pain in my shin in that area a year later? I haven’t ran in a while, only recently. Is it possible I just haven’t built up enough strength or did anyone else have the same symptoms and it turned out to be the leg not properly healed still? 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I haven't returned to running yet post injury. When I first started running several years ago I experienced significant pain in my shin from poor shoes. Once I bought proper shoes the pain went away. I could tell when my shoes needed to be replaced because the pain would reappear. So, it may be related to injury and the metal, or it may just be you need new shoes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.