broken tibia and fibula post surgery, right ankle hurts every time I stand up, please help

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello, my name's George and last Thursday, I had surgery done on my right ankle for a tibia and fibula break. (in 3 separate spots) as of right now, the swelling has eased up and the pain is completely gone when my foot is elevated. I got about a half foot of staples stitches and I change the cast/splint everyday. anyways, the pain that I only feel comes from me standing up to do a easy task like going to the bathroom, or turning on the light or getting a snack, after doing the task I feel blood rushing to my ankle and it hurts a lot, I'm not on anymore medication but ibuprofen if it hurts anytime soon. when the pain starts, I can't help but just want to lay back down, it throbs and aches for a good 5 minutes and the goes back to not hurting and being completely fine. this is an issue because I'm only 15 and I need to go back to school soon and if I can't really get up with out it hurting and need elevation, how do i walk around all day on crutches and sit in a desk with my legs not elevated. please if you had this in the past, how long does it take to heal and is it supposed to do something like this right after surgery.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Dear George

Sorry to hear that you have been in the wars!  My experience is based on a total ankle replacement and I found that iced bandages and elevation made a huge difference and elastic stockings also helped in particular with swelling.

If you would like to be mobile and hands free consider using an iwalk 2.0 hands free crutch.   Look on Amazon for them and then read the user reviews.   It's not for everyone specially if you do not have reasonable balance and or are very overweight and unfit.  I'm 76 and am able to use them quite easily.....can do over half a mile outside if necessary.   They are great around the house as it allows you to work and carry as you are totally hands free.

All the best, Richard

• Posted

Dear George

I forgot to say that because the bad foot is strapped to a padded shelf if is not going to feel as bad as if it were hanging down at floor level, and since you will be using most of the muscles on that side you will not loose muscle strength as you would otherwise.

Cheers, Richard

• Posted

You should check with your doctor to see if you should be putting any weight on your injured leg at all. As Richard writes, ice and elevation ease the pain and swelling.  In addition to Richard's suggestion you might be able to use a knee stroller.  It is a stroller with a pad where you place your bended leg and move the scooter with your good foot. It will not allow you quite as much freedom as the walker Richard suggest but your friends will think is cool when you go zipping around the school hallways.

• Posted

when I say put pressure on my other foot, I mean like if I go to the bathroom and stand for instance I need to straighten my leg out to balance and I put little to no pressure on my leg, its just when I stand. and I have the scooter your talking about, its just very uncomfortable and I don't really like using it, I would hate to get a wheel chair but that might be my only option if this doesn't get better

• Posted

Dear George

I feel sure that your doctor will have said NO weight bearing on the bad foot as lots of healing needs to happen and surely this is going to be at least six to eight weeks...ugh!

I'm waiting for a revision to my five year old ankle replacement and really could not face weeks and weeks on crutches and not being hands free which is why I got the iwalk.....works for me!

Going on your comments you may find that the iwalk offers you the best solution. Your mates will be calling you a pirate when they spot you walking. BTW you soon get used to strapping it on which takes about a minute and only ten seconds to take off.

Cheers, Richard

• Posted

I agree with Richard. And stairs and steps are NOT doable with a knee stroller. You also have to have someone willing to lift it in and out of a car or up and down steps, at least for the first six weeks. And Richard is right about the weight bearing. I don't know of anyone who has had your surgery who is not told to be non-weight bearing for 6-8 weeks.

• Posted

George, sorry to hear about your injury. I am in the same predicament except that I have an external fixator on my ankle. Have had it going on 8 weeks now and have a couple more to go. I am also pretty much house bound other than my dr appointments. I suggest that you follow dr and make sure that you are not putting any weight on the ankle. Let it heal properly, you will be thankful later in life if you do.
    • Posted

Dear  James

I think that you have made a really excellent point there.   It is so easy to be too eager when young and older to get walking again then later on in life have to pay the VERY heavy price for not doing as good as possible healing job when it counted.   I dearly wish that I had not damaged my foot and needed an ankle replacement!

It really struck home to me what a fantastic joint the ankle is and I think if more people thought about it they would look after them better!   It is a first a support system, a universal joint, a propulsion unit and a shock absorber all in one small joint.    It takes the same weight loading as does ones much larger hip joint yet does so much more.  

It is of course a real pxxs off to be off work/school etc for weeks but is something to get right for the long term.   There is nothing worse than a failed ankle for restricted mobility and worth doing everything possible to get a really good outcome right at the beginning.

Cheers

Richard

• Posted

HI George, 

I had a similar operation 4 months ago. It is normal for the first 4-6 weeks to feel this kind of pain, when you put your foot down all the blood will rush to the wound as there is  a lot of healing going on in there. It is this swelling that you need to keep it elevated all the time. It is frustrating but unfortunately that is just the way it is. I took paracetamol regularly for weeks. I also used the knee scooter for 2 months. 

I would be surprised if you were allowed to go back to school so soon, as the elevation is essential for 4-6 weeks. maybe you could ask about doing mornings at school then taking work home to do in the afternoons, so you can keep your leg elevated and iced. 

Hang in there, its going to be a long slow recovery but at your age should be back to normal again!

kbeen

• Posted

Sorry for your issues but the only way to keep the swelling down is to elevate the leg above the heart.  My suggestion is for your parents to rent a wheel chair with a horizontal leg support and use rhat to go to school.  If you do this you will still need to add some pillows to make sure it is up high enough.  If that is not an option ask the school if they have video conferencing that will allow you to get your lesions.   If this to fails ....home schooling until you are a bit more Mobil 
  • Posted

Hi George, I had a very similar surgery and the very same question as you.  "Why so much pain when I had to stand up?"  Well, I learned it is normal and only time will help.  The blood moves down into the ankle and yes, it hurts and the only fix is to elevate it again.  This went on just a little over two weeks for me.  I was just switched into a moon boot and I can actually be upright (on my crutches) and not have the pain.  My incision also would sting, especially in the night for a good two weeks.  I was worried it was infected, but apparently it is healing great.  I am not allowed to weight bear for 4 weeks now, which is very hard.  I am a teacher and thought I could get back to work sooner. I think a wheelchair with a leg support could work for you and your friends would probably happily push you around.  We just have to suck it up and be patient, hard as that is.  These injuries do not heal quickly and it is so important to not push it and risk injuring it again or not healing properly to avoid ankle arthritis and other problems later.  Good luck.  Find some good Netflix series and books and the pain and discomfort will lessen every day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.