Broken tibia and tore ligament

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I broke my ankle 5 days ago, I has surgery a metal plate and two screws. Today I've had much more pain and my cast feels very tight around my ankle. I've kept it elevated 99% of the time. Should I phone doctor or do u think it will settle? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

samantha---I would call the doctor. But I tend to call the doctor when i'm not sure what to do. Seems like they should know because it could be a problem needing urgent attention. 

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi. So sorry you had to find this forum but you’ll be grateful for the support  I was.  I would go to dr. This is a very painful injury but tight plasters don’t help. I had 8 plasters all up in 3 weeks. The first thre were applied by trainee drs taking instructions over the phone on how to apply. She folded edges in so I had a fold of plaster jammed into injury. It’s your leg your recovery. And if your concerned go to dr. And now is a good time to order your Even Up Shoe to wear when you go into boot. Keep your gait level when walking. You don’t want other skeletal problems from walking uneven. Good luck with your recovery 
  • Posted

Samantha give it a few days or a few hours.  My cast did the same thing but I gave it time and eventually it loosened up. Your ankle and bones are healing and it will swell from time to time. Keep it elevated 
  • Posted

Hi Samantha, mine felt "snug" around my ankle for the full 6 week in cast, (and I've spent 99% of my recovery in bed keeping it elevated). What you will recognise is it will slacken at the top of the cast and still be "snug" around your ankle - this is normal.

If it becomes too tight and uncomfortable, then i would recommend calling your doctors or the hospital.

Wishing you a fast recovery.

• Posted

Hello Samantha08977. I had the same surgery as yourself. You will experience severe pain after surgery. Are you taking pain medication? My doctor prescribed Percocet for me and it done wonders. The only down fall about taking Percocet, you must not rely on percocet for a long period of time. I weaned myself off of the pills" because I know they are highly addictive. For two weeks, I had to rely on the Percocet pills due to my unbearable pain level. Currently, I am taking one tylenol a day. Your pain level will get better overtime. Have your doctor prescribed heparin for you? If I were you, I would discuss your concerns with your doctor.

• Posted

Hi they were going to send me home after surgery with just paracetamol I complained and they gave me co codamol and I have naproxen too. The pain is ok now as long as I don't move at all, if I go on my crutches to use the toilet then it kills!! I do find I don't have enough pain killers to see me through 24hrs so I have to spread them apart, a few times I've had to take an extra dose as I'm awake at night too.

• Posted

I also have clexan instead of heparin which I have to inject everyday!
    • Posted

Good Afternoon, Samantha.I hated getting the heparin shots. My doctor told me to take 250 milligram of aspirin everyday. The one pill is so harsh on my stomach; Sometimes, I get a belly ache from the aspirin. I know it's imperative not to develop a blood clot so I deal with the discomfort. Have a good day.

• Posted

Does your pain intensifies at night? I experience pain during the day, but it gets worse at night.
    • Posted

One week today and my pain is intermittent with shooting pains. The pain is now very intense when I go on my crutches.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.