broken tibia tibia and talus plus dislocation

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi I broke my tibia tibia and talus and dislocated it I have had surgery pins and plates of been in pot 8 weeks and am still in pot for at least another 6 but been told to start weight bearing but not sure how I should start or how I should progress with it can anyone help pls thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

When I started weight bearing I used a walker to make my arms carry the majority of my weight with only about 20% weight on my injured side.  I did this for 5 or so days then started putting more weight on the injured side. And continued to do this week after week to add more weight bearing.  After 4 weeks I was weight bearing equally and just pushing the walker in front of me "just in case".  I was so glad to get back to normal.  You will get there too.  

• Posted

thanks I'm 2 days in and feeling like I'm getting no where

• Posted

You're not getting no where.  You've had 2 more days of healing!  I am surprised that they gave you no instructions on how to begin this weight bearing.  This recovery does take time but it will be over and it will become a distant memory.  I'm in the US and I don't know about a "pot".  What is it??  My son broke his tibia and had a cast and crutches rather than a walker.  He could really move quickly and do stairs which I couldn't.  2 things: 1) You have to speak up and ask questions when you see your doctors.  I did.  I made them show me all the before xrays and new ones and explain the difference and the progress.  Also, if I didn't understand something completely, I told them to explain it better because I wasn't a medical professional, didn't know the terms, and never went through this before.  They work for you!  2)  You sound like you are becoming depressed.  I did too.  It's normal because this is all new, different, difficult, scary and a lot of other depressing things like not being able to drive and being stuck in the house.  This is where your friends/family come to the rescue. Oh, and in some cases meds!  You may have to reach out because your friends don't know what to do either.  The interesting thing is that you may learn who are your "real" friends.  Remember that every day that goes by is another day of healing and getting back to normal.  You have my best wishes.   Let us all know how you are doing.  

• Posted

2 days is not going to improved as fast as you want it. Trust I know I too broke my legs, left tibia and right ankle. 2 months non-weight bearing and than given a walking boot on right ankle. From there was the learning how to walk all over again. Walker, learning how to stand up took me 2 weeks. In the 5-6 week learning to use a cane and putting more weight on both of my legs. 2 months later walking both legs with a limp and by 5-6 months fully walking with little pain. Now after a year I can walk normal, no limping, and just now jogging and jumping again. Is a long process but in the end you will get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.